cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1 of 9

Does pass-thru work with DTR-2100 BT Youview

As per the title - does aerial signal pass-thru work when using SMART mode with the DTR-2100?  If you have looked at the other thread I posted regarding 'inferior tuner with DTR-2100 you will know I have been having some issues with the new muxes COM 7 and COM 8 with the DTR-2100 (no issues with any other of my TVs or PVRs.

I decided to try using pass-thru rather than the passive splitter I have been using for the BT box and the TV.  Before going to bed last night I removed the splitter and connected the DTR-2100 direct to the aerial point then another lead from the BT box up to the TVs aerial input i.e. pass-thru.  Everything worked as expected and there was a small improvement in both signal strength and quality on COM 7 and 8 i.e. channel 55 and 56.

Satisfied with the result I retired to bed.  When I got up this morning I turned on the TV hoping to watch the news headlines.  Instead there was a message plastered across the TV screen 'no tuning data'.  The BT box is set to SMART mode and sleeps from 01:00 am to 09:00 am.  The TV signal was clearly not getting a signal.  There is no option to set Pass-thru in the TV settings so I assume/assumed that SMART mode does all this automatically for the consumer.  Am I wrong?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Does pass-thru work with DTR-2100 BT Youview

I believe  that Smart Standby simply  changes between the Always Ready  and Energy Saver modes at the times that you set it. So in your example your Youview box  would be in deep sleep (Energy saver) mode  until 9am.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 3 of 9

@zulu17wrote:

I believe  that Smart Standby simply  changes between the Always Ready  and Energy Saver modes at the times that you set it. So in your example your Youview box  would be in deep sleep (Energy saver) mode  until 9am.

Yes zulu, but does that mean pass-thru will still work during those times i.e. pass the freeview signal to my TV?  It's simply crazy if by putting your Youview box to sleep you could no longer use your TV as well.  Using the old software there was clearly an option to switch pass-thru either on or off - that option is no longer present within the 'new' software settings.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

as I understand it RF Loop Through will remain active whenever the box is either on or in active standby.

It won't be active whenever the box goes into deep standby (sleep)

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

What you need is

Menu -> Settings -> Picture & Sound -> Antenna Out -> On

I agree, not exactly the obvious place to put the option. Putting it in TV Signal Quality or Power & Standby would make more sense.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Ah! thanks Gomezz. I had seen that listed but didn't realise it referred to 'pass-thru'. I didn't notice anything in the manual either. Having said that most of BT's info still relates to the old software not the new.

Mind you it doesn't solve the issue of the tuners not finding COM7/8 accurately. Again no option for manual tuning which would be a big help.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 7 of 9

Hi Gomezz.  Tried the TV antenna out option as per your suggestion.  makes no difference, when the box goes into SMART standby it cuts off the signal to the TV.  I've either got a faulty box or, it's a bug in the system or it's no longer an option .  pretty disappointing .

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 8 of 9

I have done a bit more digging on this 'pass-thru' issue and I'm not convinced it's now an option.

If you look at the instructions for the old software it mentions pass-thru and states in order to use it you must use 'low eco mode' which uses approx 9 watts - high eco uses 0.3 watts. If you now look at the latest software instructions there is no longer a 9 watt option, it's either 'always on' at approx 17 watts or SMART standby between the hours you set at 0.3 watts, which is the same as the old 'High Eco' mode. If I am correct then this is a pretty bad omission by BT/Youview.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 9 of 9

I've had quite a long conversation with the BT Youview team this PM (like platting fog getting your point across).  Anyway the official diktat is that 'pass-through' no longer works with the latest software if you want to use SMART during the night.

The TV signal will not be passed through to the TV in this mode.  You have to switch to 'always on' regardless of whether you have 'antenna out' switched to on or not.

We are going backwards with this new software - it worked fine on the old software but not with the latest.

0 Ratings