cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfects
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Does the YouView TV service lower your internet speeds when not in use?

Go to solution

Hiya,

We just signed up for BT Infinity 1 (estimated speeds 30-40mbps) and free YouView TV mainly for BT sport. I was just wondering if adding the TV service permanently reserves bandwidth on our line, even if the YouView box is switched off, effectively lowering our internet speeds slightly at all times.

I'm hoping it uses a QOS based system instead as to not lower speeds when its not in use, but I can't find this information anywhere. I'll probably only turn the box on when I want to catch a game.

Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Does the YouView TV service lower your internet speeds when not in use?

Go to solution

It's QoS based, only reserving enough bandwidth for the stream, whilst in use.

Steve

BT TV expertSteveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
siteguru
Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Does the YouView TV service lower your internet speeds when not in use?

Go to solution

I did a BT speedtest last night. Normal expected speed is 34meg down and 5 meg up.

YV box was on (but tuned to a Freeview channel I believe). My PC is upstairs on the other end of a homeplug adapter. The speedtest was done while I was also watching Netflix, and daughter was watching (over WiFi) one of her internet channels that she enjoys. Speed was 33 meg down and 3.8 meg up.

tl;dr ... you'll be fine. 🙂

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings