Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silvermurch
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Dolby Atmos?

Go to solution

Has anyone had the update to accommodate the new 'Dolby Atmos' sound for Football Games on the Ultra4k channel. Supposidly it should of been active for the game on the 31st and Last Nights Games? Unfortunately My 4KUHD box still only gives the stereo and surround options in the setup screen and the last update was the 11th January. Checking for updates it still states its the latest version. If someone was able to obtain the dolby Atmos sound could they tell me their latest firmware number so I can compare

Cheers

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Dolby Atmos?

Go to solution

It just needs to be on the "surround" option - as long as your amp supports it then it should work. We watched it here and it was really good 🙂

Steve

BT TV expertSteveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
silvermurch
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Ha! As simple as that...as Surround had always an option I was expecting a new option. Many Thanks I'll try it out at weekend 

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

I was interested in this too besides the use of Atmos surround they were also touting the use of more microphones than normal. Alas no joy.

Should my UHD box output 5.1 ? I couldn't get 5.1 on my amp on the UHD or HD channels, (both outputs set to surround).

I thought these things were normally backwards compatible, is that no longer the case. My amplifier is from 2012

0 Ratings
wwwebber
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

What is your connection between the STB and your amp ? and have you been watching something that you believe should have had a 5.1 soundtrack ?

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
I believe that Dolby Atmos is backwards compatible with Dolby TrueHD but not sure if that continues down to DD+5.1.

Dolby Atmos is really only for people who have invested in a 'sound projector' soundbar as not more than a few hundred people will have fitted out a whole listening room with dozens of individual speakers.

The other benefit from this is Dolby True HD for people with 'only' 7.1 setups.

Personally I tried a sound projector but as I use my setup to listen to music as well I rather have discrete full size speakers. And any more than 5.1 speakers I can't get past SWMBO. She loved the idea of replacing the speakers with a soundbar but I couldn't compromise on the sound. First world problems!
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

SWMBO would probably have more chance of sorting ouy my BTTV 5.1 problems than the dreaeded Indian call centre. I like Pro Sound / Neo 7 but if I gt a quiet moment  I may well give it a go.

0 Ratings
albeast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Colin you are correct that Atmos is compatible with Dolby trueHD and DD+. In fact the Atmos content is delivered via DD+ and meta data called JOC.

One thing you may have issues with is your amp being compatible with UHD. HDCP copy protection is used on the content so if a connected device is not HDCP2.2 conformant the stb will downgrade the video to HD - assuming you are using it via HDMI? Using SPDIF to connect the amp should resolve this and may correct the sound issue. I will try to find out more.  

https://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/dolby-digital-plus-faq.pdf

** I am a BT employee **    

0 Ratings
Highlighted
srpsrp
Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

my surround amp from 2012 does not ever seem to show 5.1 surround, it is alwaysto  pro logic or Neo7. i.e stereo matrix It's direclt connected via HDMI and SPDIF , any help welcome.

0 Ratings
albeast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

what make and model is it?

0 Ratings