Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noelect
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Eco Mode. Did you realise?

Hi

I use the LOW Eco Mode, as I expect most of you do.  After all who would want to wait 2 minutes fro the box to come out of standby?

But have you considered the consequencies of choosing this option?

At 19W, that's what the book says, the box consumes getting on for half a KWh per day, or 166KWh per year.  At say 14p per KWh that's £23 a year, just to keep a set top box in standby.

We're all encouraged to be Green, we have low energy bulbs etc, which I expect most of you do.  So lets consider the effect these Humax energy gobbling boxes are having on our plannet.

Youview will become the choice of a great many, especially those who would like to pay Mr. Murdock a bit less, or perhaps nothing.  Youview provides a good mix of servicesthat will satisfy most of our needs so I'm guessing there will be at least 100,000 of them in service by the end of the year.  I think this is likely to be a conservative estimate, if anyone has actual numbers please say.

So 166KWh x 100,000 is 16.6MWh, seems like a lot of wasted eletricity and a lot of global warming.  By comparison my 50" Smart Panasonic TV consumes only 0.3W when in standby mode.

Cheers Noel

16 REPLIES 16
biminibob
Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: Eco Mode. Did you realise?

Can anyone confirm that is correct?  Shocking if so.  I will switch to High and wait the 2 minutes.

Amazing in these times when a big issue has been made of "stand by" power consumption that a new box still has these issues.

0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 17

The high eco mode uses a lot less power, the down side being it takes a lot longer to wake up as it's effectively a 'cold' start. There's a thread on the generic YouView forum http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/eco_modes_and_start_up_times_neither_are_currently_satis... where it says that neither of the current options are satisfactory and I believe it's an area being looked at.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
flags
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

I still use high eco mode even if it means waiting a couple of minutes.

By the time I get in from work, switch the box on, get changed out of my work kit, feed the cats, get the kettle on, read the post ... you guessed it, the box has been on for quite a few minutes. 

I'm on a pre-payment electricity meter, every penny counts ... and we should all make an attempt to save the planet too.

Highlighted
The_Jezster
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Only problem with having the YV box on high Eco mode is that the YV app for recording program's when not at home won't work. The YV box has to be be in low Eco mode for this function to work.
MartinH
Expert
Message 6 of 17

The low eco mode works as designed, it keeps the box in a very sleep which allows it to dial back to YouView anbd check for any remote record instructions. 

If you want to use as little electricity as possible you'll have to use the high eco mode and wait for the box to load all its software, spin up its disk and cary out its pre-flight checked each and every time. 

0 Ratings
Dave_C
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Up to yet I use the box on low eco (light sleep) mode and recordings are just fine. 

If I were to switch to high eco (deep sllep) mode would this affect recordings?  In other words will it wake up in time to starrt recording on time?

I don't have a remote device attached.

Dave

0 Ratings
duncansby
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 17

Since reading this thread I have switched our box to high eco, and can confirm everything records fine.

stevew09
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

When we got our YouView box, I looked in that thing that most people don't touch "the manual" Smiley Wink and it says in there that low eco mode uses 19w.   So for that reason ours is in High Eco mode and we just wait for it to start up.

spec_d
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

I tried the youview box in mega eco mode by switching it off every night, just like I used to do with the old BT box.
Result was that the YV box would freeze up during boot and I'd have to go into maintenance mode to bring it back to life.
Now its in "high" eco mode.

That's progress for you......

0 Ratings