Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mikepage007
Message 1 of 4

Endless problems with YouView box and now out of warranty

Go to solution

My YouView box has consistently frozen and failed to boot up over the last year.  The original one was replaced but the same errors slowly appeared over time so I learned to live with them having to reboot at least once a day.  Because we have a TV tuner in the TV it wasn't too much of a problem.

But this week BT engineers came down our street replacing the wooden telephone poles and re-wiring each house.  They said everything will be back up in a couple of hours.  After they left we were left with no dial tone and no broadband (the estimated fix time according to their website is 5 days!)  

Anyway outraged by this I started a chat with a BT help person and mentioned in passing that while I was talking to them I'd like them to replace my YouView box, only to find out that it is now out of warranty and there's nothing they can do, even though I'm still contracted to pay the TV subscription.  They wouldn't authorise an engineer for an out of contract box.  So I'm stuck with a box which now needs at least 2 boots to get going in the first place, often freezes at some point if left on for more than an hour or two and the new fun symptom  is it sometimes just decides to become unresponsive and shows a grey fuzzy/static screen.  The maintenance mode reset seems to work for the first few hours but the old symptoms return.

I'm so frustrated, on top of my current lack of broadband and phone line I have a useless box and to top it all off even though I live in a city close to the exchange my BT Infinity speed often drops to between 1Mbs to 4Mbs, the top speed being 16Mbs on a good day.  Engineers visiting the house have told me they've traced the cables back from the house to the green box and found alluminium instead of copper at certain points which is apparently notorious for being the cause of slow speeds.

Anyway, my rant is over, if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get the YouView box replaced now it is out of contract I'd be truly grateful.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
jam2000
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Endless problems with YouView box and now out of warranty

Go to solution

I would suggest upgrading to the new BT you view box. Its such a superior box compared to all previous ones. I paid £35 and its well worth the upgrade. The box is very small, fast, smart and no fan sound. 

0 Ratings
mikepage007
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for that, I didn't realise that was an option.  I hope they will do it for an out of contract box.  I'll give it a try and report back here if I'm successful.

0 Ratings
mikepage007
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Ok, it worked, £35 and I'll have a new box on Tuesday.

For anyone else with similar problems I'd advise that you make sure you conatact BT before the warranty on your YouView box expires.

0 Ratings