Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Experiences with Draytek Vigor 130 and BT TV

Hi folks

I've put a Draytek Vigor 130 in today in place of my old Openreach modem and enabled "bridge mode" as per Draytek instructions. Latest Draytek BT recommended firmware also installed. So far, broadband is working and BT TV multicast channels ........ mostly.

I'm now observing that the multicast streamed channels are suffering from intemittent breakups/pixelation and sometimes sound loss. This did not happen with the OR modem.

What are you experiences, seen this before, any optimisations that I can try?

Thanks >mark

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Leebobs
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Experiences with Draytek Vigor 130 and BT TV

What are you bridging the Draytek Vigor to?  I am bridging it to a Synology RT2600ac router and have no issues with live TV through the BT TV multicast channels.

0 Ratings
AS2856
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Not OP but i have Draytek Vigor 130 connected to a PfSense router and have no issues at all with any channel other than the UltraHD channel where i get some pixelation.

Couple of things:-

What speed to you get on your connection?  You'd need around 20mbps for standard HD channels.

Also - as Leebobs said - whats your router type and setup?

Leebobs, if you dont mind me asking - do you have UltraHD and if so what bandwidth does your router show it using when your streaming the UltraHD channel?

0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Thank you for your replies.

I've swapped it back out for the old OR HG612 and its a lot better. I think I'm going to send the Draytek back.

FYI, my speed is ~59Mbps down. Tried both latest BT firmware and "alternative" modem (which wouldn't connect) and bridge mode was setup.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Leebobs
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Streaming the England U21 in 4KHD now I am averaging about 7.30MB/s down which is 90-95% through the BT Box... you'll see from the attached when I switch to "Standard HD"Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 17.43.02.png

I tend not to use 4K because we often stream on multi screens and it requires more than my 76Mb/s download speed if I'm frank.

0 Ratings
AS2856
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Brilliant,

Thats pretty much what im seeing - no wonder I have pixellation. It also makes a bit of a mockery of the 45mbps for UltraHD requirement - how does 7MB fit through 45mbps?

0 Ratings
Leebobs
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

No problem AS2856, I am not really thinking of using 4K until I can get Ultrafast Fibre Plus… I think 100mb/s should be the minimum for 4K to stream smoothly on a “standard” household network when at least one other person is on YouTube watching make up tip videos!! Smiley Embarassed

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 8 of 11

Providing you use a BT Home Hub there should be no problem streaming BT Sport 4K UHD on a 45Mbit/s line when there is other Internet traffic.

BT prioritise the IPTV multicast traffic over other traffic so you should always get perfect audio and video, and, in the case you describe, the YouTube video will fallback to a lower quality and/or stall and buffer temporarily.

As I posted on another thread, BT Sport 4K uses 30Mbit/s (30,000,000bit/s IP bit-rate) while HD channels use between 9Mbit/s and 14Mbit/s, depending on the channel. On a 45Mbit/s line you therefore have 15Mbit/s left for broadband traffic, or, if recording an HD channel too, 5Mbit/s for broadband.

However, third party hubs may not behave in the same way and may not be fully compatible. In particular, a BT Home Hub sends a multicast IGMP join on both WAN interfaces: the IPoE multicast VLAN and also the PPPoE broadband interface. This ensures that the broadband traffic rate is limited to allow for the multicast traffic. If a third party hub doesn't do this it will lead to packet loss which may impact both the BT IPTV service and the broadband service.

BT Hubs also use IGMP snooping to ensure that IPTV multicast traffic is only delivered to clients that request it. Some third party hubs and switches will simply broadcast all the multicast traffic to every device and we've seen this completely kill WiFi in the home when the YouView box is tuned to an HD or 4K UHD TV channel.

If you have problems I would therefore recommend that you use a BT Home Hub for your VDSL interface and connect your third party router to one of its WAN ports if you wish to use any specific features that it offers.

Finally, while BT currently use 30Mbit/s for 4K UHD, NetFlix and the BBC may use other rates and, in particular, are likely to use Adaptive Bit Rate so they should continue playing and reduce the quality when the bandwidth is restricted.

I hope this helps - it's not as simple as it might appear and hubs are not necessarily interchangable.

0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

My Draytek went back and I reverted to the OR modem. I was still seeing pixelation and breakups so went all in with a new router, the TP-Link AC1900 (Archer VR900 v2 - modem/router). Setup was straight forward, upnp setup with my Synology NAS was spot on and touch wood, IGMP/multicast channels are behaving. In addition cellular access to my Synology managed IP cams is also a lot faster. I won’t get too excited until I’ve done further testing but so far, impressed with the TP-Link box 👍🏻
0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 10 of 11

It may be useful to capture the WAN traffic as explained on this Draytek support page. That should reveal why the WAN bit-rate is so high. A very short capture (5s) that includes tuning to the BT Sport 4K channel should be sufficient.

0 Ratings