cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 22

Re: Extra Box (Multiroom) - No more than 2 boxes?

BT mods, any news or possibility of this happening?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 22

One thing that does seem to have changed is the minimum internet speed for extra box has reduced from 34 to 23Mbps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 22

The multiroom service now has the option to go for a mini Youview box as the 2nd box (£65 instead of £99?).

I believe the mini Youview box DB-T2200 only has one tuner (see recombu review), so I assume can also only use one multicast channel at a time. This type of extra box set up would therefore not require the full 34Mbps. Could this be why they now state the minimum speed as 23Mbps?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 22

@davidb00 wrote:

This provides a business opportunity for BT, if they produced a dumb box,  ie a single HD IP channel with freeview and possibly a bit of ram for pausing etc, three rooms could be catered for, one main youview+ box and two rooms with single channel terminals, all within the 34 mbs constraint.

Well you were certainly right about the first bit, but it seems BT currently still only allow a dual box set up for Extra Box.

Anyway, well done for correctly predicting half of the future (or were you part of the trial team? Smiley LOL ).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 22

@umpire wrote:

The multiroom service now has the option to go for a mini Youview box as the 2nd box (£65 instead of £99?). 

Correction:

A BT Youview+ extra box is now £65.

A Mini BT Youview extra box is now £49.

So they have reduced the price as I think it used to be £99 for the BT Youview+ extra box? 

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 22

The sign-up process makes clear the Youview+ box is a 'first generation Youview+ box, available for a limited period at a discounted price'.

So that's why it's £65 now.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 22

@Colin_London wrote:

The sign-up process makes clear the Youview+ box is a 'first generation Youview+ box, available for a limited period at a discounted price'.

So that's why it's £65 now.

And that's the reason I'm not going for it at the moment!

I would have been OK spending £99 for the G4.

0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 22

whats even more annoying is i have a spare G4 box in the bedroom which was running without issue, but now I cannot even subscribe to extra box as I have Sky Movies so its either one or the other!

its a total farce this service. A new customer must be totally scratching their head if they select sky movies they lose the extra box, if they select sky sports they have to a go for a BT vision box.....the whole system is a joke...

until BT dump the vision box and have a coherent TV strategy I will be getting the bare minimum from them.....I cancelled the boxsets as they a pretty rubbish and although I was willing to pay extra for multiroom I can't due to the stupid licensing **bleep** by sky that is preventing this.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 22

Blame Sky for both of these situations.

At least in the case of Sky Sports the Competition Commission have found against Sky and hopefully Sky Sports 1,2 & 5 will soon be available to BT Youview customers as well as BT Vision. They have been dragging things out for as long as they could, and your reaction to the situation is exactly how they hoped people would react - that BTs service is hobbled by the restrictions they have been able to impose on use of their own content.

Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 22

You are correct Colin, on those counts:

1. Lack of Sky Sports on Youview > Sky

2. Inability to have multiroom when subscribing to Sky Movies > Sky

3. Inability to use no more than 2 boxes when subscribed to multiroom > BT

4. No Chromecast on BT TV app and no more than 2 device > BT (and no doubt some rights arguement - sounds like Sky Go eh, unless you stump up for Sky go extra and these things go away by magic)

What concerns me, if Sky has to alllow BT the rights to offer SS1/2 (&5?) and you subscribe; will you also then lose the ability to have multiroom? If so, this could be a deal breaker for me but I suspect many others.

It is all very frustrating, I really hope BT can address these issues or at the very least provide some sort of roadmap. Personally I'd like to know:

1. Will multiroom be extended beyond the 2 box hard stop limit? (Perhaps 1 or 2 x G4 and 1 or 2 x basic yv box)

2. Will SS1/2 (&5?) be available on multiroom? HD available?

3. Is there any likelyhood of a deal between BT/Sky to allow Movies on multiroom?

4. Will Chromecast come to the BT TV app and perhaps the device limit raised to 4?

5. New channels coming? Any more HD content?

6. Future of BT "Player" > consolidation to Netflix or keep two services simultaneously?

7. DLNA functionalty update to Youview platform now that the G4 has the necessary HW resources?

I'm sure there are many others but I can't think of them right now.

>mark

0 Ratings