cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rodnork
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Extra Box with BT TV

I had 2 boxes running on my BT Infinity line (37mb) with no problems, Now I been told even though I am happy to pay the £5 subscription exta that I cant as my lines not fast enough so they cant place an order.

So in short BT wont take more money off me for something that I had previously had with no problems and was very happy with for free.

Now I am left with half the service I had even though I am willing (happy to) pay the extra to continue using 2 boxes.

Is this great customer service or a case of "computer says no" ?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
jparnell82
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Extra Box with BT TV

Sounds like it, but just to confirm, is one of your boxes now being blocked from receiving the extra channels?
What happens? Do you receive a message or something on screen? Just curious as originally when BT launched extra box they weren't blocking users that already had additional boxes.

@steve_m any comment?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Rodnork
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

It being actively blocked with a message saying something like you have more than one box if you want this box to work the. Reset via bt player
0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 14

Hi Rodnork,

This looks like a case of "computer says no", but I can't see a good reason for that decision especially given that you've been working for months 🙂

If it's OK with you, I'll raise this to the relevant team to investigate further?

In the mean time I have added the Extra Box subscription to your account so that you can continue to use both boxes.

(jparnell82, I will dig out the details on how it's expected to work)

Regards

Steve

BT TV expertSteveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

Were these both YouView boxes or was one a BT Vision box.

0 Ratings
hp57
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

I have had the same problem, phoned up for extra box and was told I could not have one. Despite the fact that though my slowest expected speed was faster than that quoted by BT for the extra box service, it was not fast enough! I had recently bought a second youview box, which did work perfectly well until I too had a message that I could only use one of them. I tried ordering online and it seemed to go through but as I can still only use one box, I was obviously unsuccessful. Like the first poster, I am happy to pay for a service which I can get, but BT won't let me.
0 Ratings
Andy_W
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

There I was minding my own business and browsing the movies on the Boxoffice part of the On Demand library on my BT Youview box when this message comes up:

"Important

We've detected that you've connected too many BT TV boxes to your broadband line. To use BT TV On Demand and subscription channels on a second box, you'll need BT Infinity with a fast enough line speed, an Extra Box subscription and two YouView boxes. To see if you can sign up, call 08004320042. You can continue watching Freeview channels as you do today.

If you'd prefer your BT TV services to work on this box only, go to the BT on demand player and select the Rest option. This will disable BT TV services on your other box.

[BTV-4034]   Exit   Restart"

Now I do have a second box - my previous black BT Vision+ box, which has been superseded by my BT Youview box. However I keep it for viewing of BT Sport channels, as I can't yet get Infinity in my area, and for a back up for On demand programmes in case of problems with the Youview box, all with the help and approval of BT.

I am reluctant to give up my BT Sport capability without good reason, so I tried simply disconnecting the cable from the BT Vision box to the Home Hub. At first that worked, and I had a browse through the On demand library. However a little later I went back to watch a movie and got the error message again. So that cost BT a fiver in lost revenue for a start.

If anyone can help I will be grateful, as everything about this situation speaks to me of BT trying to fix something that ain't broken.

0 Ratings
Bitofadonnet
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Same here yesterday afternoon, but I only have one BT Vision box. I do have Now TV and a Samsung Bluray player attached to the Home Hub, but that's all. The only way I could fix it was to do a factory reset. Luckily I didn't have to much recorded, but having to input my personal settings and scheduled recordings was a pain. Really annoying!

0 Ratings
Andy_W
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Most annoying, and what I don't understand is how it still knows I have a second box when I have removed its Ethernet cable. BT equipment seems at times only suitable for hobbyists rather than consumers.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

@Andy_W wrote:
Now I do have a second box - my previous black BT Vision+ box, which has been superseded by my BT Youview box. However I keep it for viewing of BT Sport channels, as I can't yet get Infinity in my area, and for a back up for On demand programmes in case of problems with the Youview box, all with the help and approval of BT.  

See  https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Error-code-VMC025/td-p/1316395

It's interesting that you say this was set up 'all with the help and approval of BT'. As indicated in the above thread the BT TV terms have always previously stated that you can only use one box with the service. With the introduction of the official Extra Box service it seems that BT are just finally enforcing that at a technical level. That may possibly contradict previous advice from BT reps?

0 Ratings