cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siddlysid
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Extra Channels Retail Box

My father has a youview box he purchased from Argos about 6 months ago.

It's the humax box - it's the same box that I have with a bt subscription at my own address.

He called the number advertised on the channels to add them, but was told be someone on the phone that the only possible way he could receive them was to buy another youview box from bt. She put him onto a supervisor who said if he pressed the bt logo and signed up through there, he could then sign up for the channels.

We pressed the bt logo, and it comes up with an error has occured - you either are not connected to the internet, or it's a server problem.

Selecting BT player from the list of players just gives unhelpful info pages, but it did atleast work.

The error message had a phone number, so we rang that, they said he needed to speak to sales.

Sales then tried selling him another youview box. Once again, the supervisor joined in and we ended up back at tech support.

Back over at tech support, we were promptly passed back to sales as it's just a sales issue. Once back over to sales, again the obligatory solution - you will have to buy a box from us.

That was the point that the old fella flipped his lid and hung up in a strop. I'm suprised that he hung on that long!

I'm under the impression that you can get bt vision and the extra channels with a bt box (hence why it a) has the channels listed, and b) has the big bt logo on the youview menu).

Why does nobody at bt know anything about this. This is a customer wanting to subscribe real money to watch your television service, who has now vowed 'stuff them', or words similar to that effect.

How do you actually go about getting the extra channels, or even bt player? Not a single person (out of the SIX different ones) he spoke to at bt knew anything about it.

I made sure that he explained that it was a retail box, he has infinity, he would just like bt vision and the extra channels, thankyou very much.

It really shouldn't be this hard should it...??

You would have thought that bt would have a nice simple easy to use website where you could do this yourself.

...nope.

Any suggestions??? Obviously, there is no way he wants to go through that again. he just wants a few more channels.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Extra Channels Retail Box

Did he/you actually get a costing for getting the service with a new box. Provided you have the sevice for the minimum 12 month term there is no charge for the box itself  - you pay an activation charge and the monthly subscription.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

Check out www.bt.com/player.

Trouble is it's no cheaper than getting a new box.

BTs training of its staff wrt retail boxes is non-existent.
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

Remove the '.' from the URL.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 15

The OP wants the extra channels whivch come with the Essential Extras and Unlimited Extra packages. I haven't seen these packages advertised as an option with a player only  on a Youview box not supplied by BT .  Indeed those combinations are not listed in the BT tariff guide which lists only the Essential and Unlimited players as being  available  for new supply  for player only on a Youview box not supplied byBT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

I'll ask a mod to find out and help

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Hi Guys,

Thanks for raising this I have gone to the YouView guys and asked for some clarification. Once I get word back I'll post an update on this thread.

Thanks

PaddyB

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 15

Thank you Paddy 🙂

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 9 of 15

I was also told I would need to get a box from BT to get all the extra channel. So will be interesting to know what paddy finds out. I have had the BT player unlimited on my retail Youview box since May

Darren
0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

It may be due to the fact that they can't control the level of software on your Retail box. You are probably on 14.5.0 by now an update which BT are delaying for some reason known only to themselves.

0 Ratings