Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Extra channels not working.

Go to solution
I have entertainment plus and none of the extra channels are working. I have been on chat and done all that was requested which made no difference. I have also phoned up and have been persuaded to buy BT Broadband Extender 600 Kit. I already have 2 of these but they were provided by talktalk and I am not convinced these are the problem. All the extra channels say the same thing, "check your internet connection" but there is nothing wrong with it. Please can you help.
It's not the size of the wand but the magic in the stick.
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Extra channels not working.

Go to solution

So your box is connected to your router via powerline adapters? do the extra channels work with the box connected directly to the modem? Is it a BT box or a TalkTalk box?

0 Ratings
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
It is a BT box, can't connect directly to the router.
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

connect a laptop directly to the the hub (not to one of the extenders) either by wifi or cable, launch VLC media player, Click Media on the menu bar, select Open Network Stream from the drop-down menu and enter rtp://234.81.130.4:5802 and see if the test stream works. If it does then the problem is somewhere in your home, otherwise it could be the hub or your broadband. I'm assuming your extra channels have worked OK up till now?

0 Ratings
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Nothing happens, is rtp correct?
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Yes, it's correct. If you connected directly to your hub as I said to do then you should have seen the test stream.

First of all check the firewall on the PC or laptaop you tried to connect with, make sure VLC Media Player is added as an exception for both private and public networks.

If it still doesn't work then the problem could be down to your router or broadband, What hub are you using? Have the extra channels worked at all since you moved to BT?

0 Ratings
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Ok. First of all I don't know how long the channels have not been working. I was going to cancel them last November when I signed up for another year because I didn't often use them but was persuaded to keep them so I can't honestly say if they have ever worked. I tried the VLC thing first over wifi on my tablet and it did work but intermittently. Then I tried it on my computer which is plugged directly into the hub and it works fine. Just another point, box says connected to internet
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

The test stream should work fine on wifi as long as you have a decent signal and you are connected to the hub itself, if you're connected to an extender then that could introduce other factors.

The main purpose of this test was to confirm that the multicast packets are present, your PC proves that they are. 

To the best of my knowledge, you don't have to have a Youview subscription to be able to view the test stream on a PC, so I would say that the problem is with either your home network or your subscription.

0 Ratings
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks for your help, it turns out that it was a faulty powerline adapter, didn't suspect this as my set top box was saying it was connected to the internet and all the lights were green.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @curlywatts,

Thank you for posting back and for confirming what was causing the issue. That will help any users that might be facing the same problem.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings