Go to solution
Just in time for the next World Cup? πŸ˜„
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 302 of 535

Re: Failed Recording

Go to solution

Yet more failed recordings this morning - Frasier 'again'.   The odd thing is the box failed to record Frasier but successfully recorded a programme on BBC 2 later in the morning.  The box had not been switched on (all blue lights) for either recording after coming out of 'SMART standby'. 

Fortunately our trusty old Humax Freeview+ PVR which I have started using again did record Frasier, and it is using the same aerial.  We have decided that any company who can spend over 4 months trying to identify a software bug with the fix still not implemented must have such disdain for it's long suffering customers that they no longer deserve our patronage. 

We will therefore not be renewing our contract when it expires.

0 Ratings
westone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 303 of 535

Go to solution

Yes, I have reverted back to a very old 9150T. Still works as a PVR should and reliably makes recordings.

0 Ratings
JSB1980
Contributor
Message 304 of 535

Go to solution

I've just done a factory reset in maintenance mode. I didn't want to again, but the frequency of recording failures is too often now. The last time I did a factory reset was in late May, it was the one via the Settings menu, but this time I went through maintenance mode as I think someone somewhere said a while ago it was a more stable reset.

Though how long this one will work for is anyone's guess, if this YouView software issue still hasn't been identified. Logging back into all The on demand services and hiding all the duplicate channels once again was pretty tedious but if it solves the issue for at least a few weeks it'll have been worth it, in the short term anyway.

If this bug persists again in the future though, I'm really going to have to consider cancelling the TV part of my BT services and get a Freeview+ recorder instead. I'll miss a few of the subscription channels but I can live without them. What I can't live without is the ability to record whatever I set my box to, especially programmes that aren't available on catch-up.

0 Ratings
Nland-Knight
Contributor
Message 305 of 535

Go to solution

Unfortunately, I'm kind of stuck with them in a way for their exclusive Amercian College Football coverage.  There is the Espn Player subcription option, but I tried their free trail last season and sadly it's tchnically 'flakier' than BT TV/YouView

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 306 of 535

Go to solution
@JSB1980- I'm not sure of the value of carrying out a reset on your box as the fault isn't apparently a hardware issue, at least not one a reset will solve at this point.
0 Ratings
JSB1980
Contributor
Message 307 of 535

Go to solution
@Jim-lad Well it's done now, and the last one at least seemed to be a temporary fix. I do agree with you that multiple factory resets won't solve an issue that YouView has been failing to fix for what feels like ages now.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 308 of 535

Go to solution
@JSB1980- the fault has been present for at least 4 months now. It appears BT are more interested in rolling out paid for apps that few people have either asked for or will use.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 309 of 535

Go to solution

It does seem that BT/Youview's focus is directed towards marketing opportunities rather than real life functionality requirements, like fixing bugs & re-instating lost functionality ( OldGen -> NextGen).

I think BT/Youview see the Youview system as far more than a PVR , which is perhaps what most use it as , and want it to be an all in one device which with the widespread use of smart TVs is perhaps misguided.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 310 of 535

Go to solution

@TimCurtiswrote:

It does seem that BT/Youview's focus is directed towards marketing opportunities rather than real life functionality requirements, like fixing bugs & re-instating lost functionality ( OldGen -> NextGen).

I think BT/Youview see the Youview system as far more than a PVR , which is perhaps what most use it as , and want it to be an all in one device which with the widespread use of smart TVs is perhaps misguided.

I think your observation is bang on the money there Tim.  However, like you say SMART TVs have all this functionality and more.  Just yesterday WebOS (LG TV) launched the Google Play Movies and TV app.  WebOS is the best OS I've come across on the SMART TV platforms, so easy and intuitive to use, plus it gets regular updates.

It's reaching the point that my Chromecast TV (which I love) is now not being used as much, as the LG has a full compliment of apps, and I don't have to pay for them, though do have to subscribe to certain things e.g. Netflix.

I can see where BT are coming from but for goodness sake sort out the basics first or you won't have a customer base if this goes on much longer.

0 Ratings