cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 231 of 535

Re: Failed Recording

Go to solution

Yes if a standy mode is provided it has to be meaningful (actually less than 0.5W) but they do not have to make that standby mode compulsory

Sky-Q apparently has a 'none' option for standy mode selection.  Sky-HDs allow you to opt for 'Eco', 'Active' or 'None' as standby modes and if you look up the EU regs they exclude networked equipment and equipment powered from a low power source (ie a separate PSU)

https://ec.europa.eu/energy/sites/ener/files/documents/Guidance%20document_Lot%2026_Networked%20Stan...

"Equipment placed on the market with a Low Voltage Power Supply is exempted, as long as it works as intended with a low voltage external power supply supplied with the equipment"

The network one requires a little more specmanship

"The power management should be activated as follows: When networked equipment is not providing a main function and other energy-using product(s) are not dependent on its functions, the power management shall switch equipment after the shortest possible period of time appropriate for the intended use of the equipment, automatically into a condition having networked standby. The function is similar to the power management for standby and off."

And we know that data connection and processing at all times is essential to the YV function so that it is aware of programme changes

The compulsory power standby function in YV and its predecessor BT Vision was all about posturing to look good to the Greenistas.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 232 of 535

Go to solution
I thought there was an option to change the eco mode on the you view box . I think the eco mode is on by default. I'm sure I saw in the settings you can change it. Not sure what the other mode does as never tried it.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 233 of 535

Go to solution
Do people who having this failed recording problem go several days without turning their Youview box on? Perhaps having it on with a timer once a day for a ten minutes or so may help. The evening local news bulletin seems like a suitable candidate to do this.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 234 of 535

Go to solution

i watch mine in the evening most evenings and nothing kick starts it unless it's on on. No good to me when it records the last part of corrie but ive missed the whole first episode and half the second lol. I end up using itv hub and iplayer now to watch everything. can't wait for the fix.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 235 of 535

Go to solution
At the end of the day smart standby isn't mandatory. Alter the setting to 'always on'. The box will use a bit more power but as a temporary solution it may be worth trying this option.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 236 of 535

Go to solution

@Jim-ladwrote:
At the end of the day smart standby isn't mandatory. Alter the setting to 'always on'. The box will use a bit more power but as a temporary solution it may be worth trying this option.

Actually the setting is called 'Always Ready' and it very much does go into standby but just comes out of it quicker, 

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 237 of 535

Go to solution

Another failed recording tonight. BBC News 10:00 pm on BBC1HD

My box was definitely on as I was watching The Handmaid’s Tale on CH4 HD, through the box, at the time.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 238 of 535

Go to solution

The BBC news tonight was a mess. It started late , didn't break for the local news just carried on and then ended too soon. This was BBC1 London received from Crystal Palace.

We were watching a recording from the YV box at the time it started.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 239 of 535

Go to solution

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

Actually the setting is called 'Always Ready' and it very much does go into standby but just comes out of it quicker, 

From the Youview/BT manual -  

'Always ready' means the box never goes into deep sleep (Energy Saver mode) and the start-up time is faster. And because it never goes into deep sleep, if you've got YouView+ you'll be able to schedule recordings remotely from your mobile devices.

The downside is that it uses the most energy of the three modes.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 240 of 535

Go to solution

@TimCurtiswrote:

The BBC news tonight was a mess. It started late , didn't break for the local news just carried on and then ended too soon. This was BBC1 London received from Crystal Palace.

We were watching a recording from the YV box at the time it started.

Curious!  I recorded Poldark which actually carried on into the BBC News so that seems to indicate a definite miss of the change of programme signal.

0 Ratings