Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Failed YouView Box ?

My recordable, non-4K tv box hung.
I powered off as a first step to resolve. 
The box could not connect to the internet on restart. The router works fine and the box is hard wired to the router, the box connects to the router and obtains an IP address. 
I tried a factory reset, keeping recordings, this had no impact. Still seeing the same behaviour. 
Service centre are sending a replacement box, yet I am not convinced the box has a hardware fault.

As a result of the experience am considering leaving BT TV. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem or a fix. 

Secondly can anyone confirm how i can access the recordings if I cancel my subscription?

Thanks

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: Failed YouView Box ?

Quick check - did you try also restarting the router, just in case that's causing the issue?  Does the Freeview functionality work OK?

Regarding your recordings question - I assume you're not currently in a fixed term contract? If so, then you'll have one of our older contracts, which means you'll be entitled to keep the box.  Freeview recordings will continue to be watchable on the box even without contract.

Newer contracts only provide the box to you for the duration of your contract, so you'd be required to return it. Thus no ability to access the recordings.

In either scenario, if you need to switch to the replacement box then you'll lose access to your recordings as you'll be required to return the faulty box.

0 Ratings
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

Yes I did restart the router. No difference with the outcome. It continues to fail to connect to the internet so no I can’t watch anything at present, is there a way I can as if I had no subscription an internet service would not be required?

I do have a contract which expires in a few weeks. Depending on resolution of this issue will determine if I renew. Maybe I am better purchasing my own box and not having any BT TV subscription?

I just don’t believe the box is faulty. More likely another device with the same MAC address on your system. I’d really like to see some diagnostics that show an error and proof of what the problem is. The box can’t talk to the BT/YouView server. It tries to but fails. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 4 of 21

@Chriswevans 

Try manually setting it's IP address and maybe try different DNS servers like Google 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

Worth a try maybe.

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 5 of 21

Sorry, I don't know what diagnostics you've already been through, but we need to take a step back here and understand the problem.  Lack of internet wouldn't stop you watching TV - you could unplug it from your router and you'd still be able to watch all your normal Freeview channels.

What are you trying to watch, and what error do you see?

If you press the purple button on your remote to launch the BT Player, what error do you see?

What if you try to launch iPlayer? Does that cause an error?

0 Ratings
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try that

0 Ratings
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

Can you actually reread my post.
I have internet connection, absolutely no problem with connecting any device to the internet, except the bt box, that can connect to internet, but not the destination server.

I can’t watch anything it is stuck in a setup mode, looping around.

I tried a software reset also and no errors so assume it connected, downloaded and installed the software. It the restarted which I presume reflects a good download. Still exactly the same situation after software reset.

Looks like a MAC conflict to me as what else does the box use to be recognised by the BT Server?
0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 8 of 21

You didn't mention anything about being stuck in setup mode @Chriswevans .  I now understand why you're unable to watch anything.

MAC isn't used for authentication - that's far too easy to spoof.

I would suggest a full reset and accept that your recordings are gone.  You've nothing to lose.

0 Ratings
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

I have my recordings to lose

why is the box stuck in setup

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

@Chriswevans 

Have you tries a factory reset of the home hub, as that is the only way to resolve any MAC or IP conflict issues? A normal reset does nothing apart from restart the physical Internet connection.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

0 Ratings