Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 11 of 21

Re: Failed YouView Box ?

@ Keith_Beddoe
Yes I tried a factory reset, not deleting my recordings, no impact.
0 Ratings
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 12 of 21

@DarrenDev

So why is the box stuck in setup?

Does anyone really know how these boxes work as I currently get the feeling no one does?
Is there no information available to triage issues and understand what is wrong? All I see is suggestions to resolve issues with no understanding of the cause. It’s really all guess work I think.
0 Ratings
DarrenW
BT TV Expert
Message 13 of 21

Morning @Chriswevans 

The Youview box has an internet connection, I can ping it and I can see 'some' of the logs the box would usually post back to BT.

Last night, I can see you were watching Freeview channels on the box but I see no evidence of you taking advantage of your package probably because you can't?

It would be helpful to get more specific information about your problem, can you describe what happens when you:

• Press the BT Player button on your remote
  • Try to watch BT Sport 1 SD (CH 408)

Or maybe you have more than 1 Youview box and I'm looking at the wrong one.

0 Ratings
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 14 of 21

@DarrenW
Many thanks for your response Darren. This is a positive step forward and I am really appreciative of your input. Yes, I do have two boxes and the currently connected box is a replacement and that one has no issues.
The box with my recordings on is currently not connected. I will connect that one now. It will take some time to go through it's startup and loop through but in 30 mins you should be able to see logs relating to the actual problem I have raised.
Many thanks
0 Ratings
DarrenW
BT TV Expert
Message 15 of 21

@Chriswevans 

Can you confirm which ethernet port on the Hub the 'faulty' box is connected to please?

0 Ratings
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 16 of 21

@DarrenW
It is currently in port 3
It was in port 1 when the issue first started but I was asked to change the port.
I can change it again if you wish.

There is only 1 box connected to my LAN at any time.

The TV is also directly connected to the router but that is not a change from when everything was working before. I have not changed any of my other LAN setup in the last couple of months before or since the failure. 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 17 of 21

@Chriswevanswrote:
Can you actually reread my post.
I have internet connection, absolutely no problem with connecting any device to the internet, except the bt box, that can connect to internet, but not the destination server.
How do you know that

I can’t watch anything it is stuck in a setup mode, looping around.
Sounds like a button stuck somewhere, have you tried removing the batteries from the remote conrol to see if it behaves then

I tried a software reset also and no errors so assume it connected, downloaded and installed the software. It the restarted which I presume reflects a good download. Still exactly the same situation after software reset.

Looks like a MAC conflict to me as what else does the box use to be recognised by the BT Server?

If that were true you it wouldn't connect to the internet (re your previous statement) 

Is the box set for DHCP or static IP, if static did you use an IP between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.63??

Is the box connected to your main hub or to a second hub that you have configured as a Wireless access Point? if the latter, did you disable the DHCP server on the 2nd hub

0 Ratings
DarrenW
BT TV Expert
Message 18 of 21

Thanks @Chriswevans 

So today since you connected that box I can see eth3 (Port 3) constantly connecting and disconnecting on the Hub. Symptoms of a dodgy port or cable.

If the Ethernet cable you are using for this box is the same as the other we could rule that out but it can still be beneficial to try another one if you have one. If you've tried a different port on the hub we can rule that out.

This would then leave the Youview box, port or card.

If you've already done a maintenance mode factory reset, then it is likely a hardware problem, something you won't recover I'm afraid.

0 Ratings
Chriswevans
Beginner
Message 19 of 21

@DarrenW
Thanks Darren.
The port & cable combination is exactly the same as the box you saw working perfectly so I think we can safely discount either as the cause.
However to be sure I have moved it back to port 1 and connected with a new cable.
I have already done a factory reset.
0 Ratings
DarrenW
BT TV Expert
Message 20 of 21

@Chriswevans 

Ok, then sadly you understand your recordings are lost due to an expected issue? There is no way remote/physical way to move them.

☹️

0 Ratings