cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
er86008
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Failed to record

Since I got a new box, I’m getting the Failed to record message frequently. There’s no apparent pattern as a programme set up to record as a series will record one day but not the next. I’m also finding that when it does record, the recording finishes before the end of the programme. Before I battle with the BT phone service, can anyone help me fix this, please? It’s so frustrating when it’s something I really wanted to watch! TIA

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Failed to record

@er86008 

Any channels in particular? Free to Air or subscription?

0 Ratings
er86008
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I’ve never tried to record from anything but the BTTV channels. I didn’t know you could! Thanks for replying.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 4 of 12

@er86008 

How is the box connected to the router/SmartHub, directly wired or by powerline adapters?

Try setting something on say BBC1 like 10o/c news and set it for series record and see what happens.

If you record the BT TV subscription channels which ones and programme are you trying?

0 Ratings
er86008
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I’m not sure what you mean by BTTV subscription channels.

0 Ratings
er86008
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

I have Powerline adapters.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 7 of 12

@er86008 

By subscription channels I mean the channels your TV can't get like BT Sport , AMC , Sky channels etc.

What channels/programmes are you having problems with? This is a very important question to answer.

0 Ratings
er86008
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

It’s pretty much all channels.  I record the Chase every day and it’s never failed to record, but I also set House of Games every day on BBC 2 and it fails sometimes but not always. Frost on Drama always fails. I don’t have Sport, AMC or Sky (except for Sky Arts which I think is Freeview).

It’s only since I had the new box. I’d never had it before - I’m wondering whether the box could be faulty?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help!

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 9 of 12

@er86008 

Sorry for taking a while to reply.

There can be various things at play here.

Broadcasters are repeating loads of old series and often these series have different identifiers called CRIDs ( content reference identifier) so when you set a series recording for a programme it will only pickup episodes with that specific CRID. This is happening alot with BBC programmes where you see a programme in the guide but it doesn't get recorded.

The Youview box records a programme when the broadcaster sends out the timed signal for the programme and then stops recording when the signal for the next programme is received. The main broadcasters are pretty good at this and do adjust this timed signal when the timing might change slightly from the guide time but the smaller broadcasters like Drama perhaps not so and that can cause programme start & ends to be inaccurate or even missed.

Those are the 2 main reasons for this type of problem but it's possible that varying signal strength & quality figures might affect things but that's not normally a significant factor other than pixelation of recordings. It's worth checking in Settings what signal strength & quality you get on any offending channels like Drama. Ideally strength should be in the 85% to 95% range and quality at 100%.

You mention a new box, if the above doesn't go some way to explain your problems then it's possible that the "new" box might be at fault. Was it supplied by BT or was it "new" from another source?

Hope all that helps.

0 Ratings
er86008
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

The new box was supplied by BT. I was hoping to avoid ringing them as I always seem to have to wait so long before they answer, but it looks as if I may have to!

Thank you so much for all your help - please don’t apologise for taking a short while to answer. I’m conscious of taking up your time!

0 Ratings