Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Faulty Box

Go to solution

I have reported this You View box several times, plus I have had and engineer
here twice to it.

When I set it to record a series of the same programmes, it eventually gets fed
up and drops the instruction, stopping future recordings, but this is not the
reason for my connecting with you all today.

Today the picture on the TV has developed a 2.5-3 inch black band down each
side of the screen, I have checked the TV set and that is OK, it is only the box that
is producing this effect, I have checked the settings, there is no indication for
layman like me to adjust the screen width, which was a setting that I thought
had slipped, but I don't suppose that there are very many square TV set any more.

Is there an adjustment that I can do?

Thank you for your help, (hopefully), the last time you were great and David
helped me.

Mike.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Faulty Box

Go to solution

PS.

I forgot to mention that I re-booted the box, this didn't clear the problem.

Mike.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Is there an Aspect Button on the TV remote (or if not in the TV settings look for display mode) and cycle through as it may have been accidentally switched to the wrong aspect. Some of the Aspect settings on a TV can be subtle and still ‘look ok’

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Thank you Gareth,

The aspect of the TV screen is correct, it is the You View box that is the problem,
I have been trying again to resolve this, the picture quality is good, it is the black
bands down each side of the picture, that is annoying, I have tried the ZOOM on
the remote for the box, now when I press any button, I get, "Press =, (a three line stack),
then ZOOM to return to normal, I don't have or can't find the stack of three lines,
another, when I was pressing buttons, I get a similar message to press the stack to
move around the screen, this makes me think that it is the ZOOM that is the fault,
or probably me.

Thanks anyway, I will suffer in silence till after Easter, everybody should be back the.

Mike.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

The three line stack is on the Bluetooth remote that comes with the pro box. I guess you are using the IR remote, and you are right, there is no such button on that. Pressing Zoom and/ or the three stack button on either remote doesn’t affect my picture in any way

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

The ‘move around the screen’ is for when you have called up the information screen by pressing the ‘i’ inside a circle button (on the Bluetooth remote)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

I’ve tried every which way to replicate your problem with no luck. I’m still inclined to think it is something to do with the way the TV is interpreting the signal from the box. Have you tried a different HDMI socket on the TV, or even just pulling the cable out and back again may get the right aspect to return. You could also try switching the pro box off completely, and unplugging it from the wall, for a period of say 15 mins. This may clear any glitches that have occurred in its signal to the TV. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks again Gareth, for your time in trying to help me, I am still using an old remote,
when the box arrived, an engineer was booked to look at the faulty on, the person that
I spoke to on the phone, somehow booked the engineer and at the same time sent me
a new box!

The remote that came with the Pro Box was faulty, he, the engineer advised me to keep
using the original remote and send the faulty one back with old box, maybe that has a
lot to do with this problem.

I forgot all about the handset being old, sorry.

Mike.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

No need to apologise Mike. I used the Bluetooth remote for 5 mins when I got the box, couldn’t get on with the way it (for me) felt unbalanced in the hand, especially when reaching down with thumb to use the number buttons, so carried on with using the IR remote. In what way was the remote that came with the box ‘faulty’ - did it just not work or was it sending scrambled commands to the box - I suppose it’s possible, but unlikely, that if the latter that it has left the box in a mixed state, but doing a reset as you said should have cleared that.  If none of the suggestions I made in my last post work it’s looking like you will have to report it as a fault with BT and see if they will send yet another box

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

hello again Gareth, the main fault with remote that came with the box,
was that it didn't work the volume, the volume defaults to 50% when
it arrives, there are other times, that it acts the same way, according to
the engineer, who wasn't a BT man, anyway, I don't use the volume on
the box, I keep that at 100% and use the TV volume control, this has
shown me that the volume of the box is faulty, when I switch it off,
the TV volume is too loud, so all round the box had problems that I have
managed to live with until now.