cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonydidit
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Faulty & shoddy aerial and cable fitting. ref number VOL013-3*****.

I decided to have BT TV,phone & broadband installed at my home.I paid all the expected installation and start up costs directly to BT in one go.At a much later date I have had a problem with pixilation,loss of channels and generally no TV signal.I called out a BT engineer who took one look at the fittings used and the general installation of the cables at the rear of set top box and said it was "a botch job" and he would not or could not work on a system that was fitted using non compattable or non standard fittings.Apparently BT had used the services of a contractor called TSG to install the aerial,coaxial cable and relevant fittings on the rear of the set top box.TSG had fitted a new aerial but only ran it to my old SKY dish who I had cancelled my subscription with.From the Sky dish TSG had simply used the old twin cables from there and as it ran straight through the wall to the back of my TV it saved them some time and probably money too.Being a different cable they simply blanked one cable off with a fitting and used the other part of the cable to fit to the set top box using red insulating tape to enable a better fit as they were using not BT compatible fittings. Having got no joy from BT or TSG I had to get a seperate local company to come out and remove the old Sky dish,old cables and old fittings and run a new coaxial cable directly from the pole mounted aerial through the wall and fit it to the rear of the set top box using the correct fittings.I now have full channel choice with excellent reception for all available channels.I got back on to BT in an attempt to get a contribution to my new fitting charges as the TSG fitted system was woeful.BT have stated its not their problem and I should take the matter to TSG. My point of view is that as I paid all my original fee's,costs etc to BT then my contract is with them and they should honour my claim and take the matter up with TSG themselves as I never asked or knew at the time that it was not BT who had fitted the system.As it stands at this time both BT and TSG have stated they can do no more at this time so the matter is now closed !!!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Faulty & shoddy aerial and cable fitting. ref number VOL013-*******.

Hi @tonydidit

There is a help page about the aerial installation service from Total Support Group (TSG) at

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38961/~/about-the-aerial-installation-service-from-to...

now that mentions that that there is  a 12 month warranty on TSG aerial installations,

Are you within that12 month period ?

0 Ratings
tonydidit
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Re: Faulty & shoddy aerial and cable fitting. ref number VOL013-3********.

Hi,no I'm outside the 12 month warranty but still believe someone should take responsibility for the poor fitting,ta.

0 Ratings
sea2dog
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Re: Faulty & shoddy aerial and cable fitting. ref number VOL013-3********.

It's all very well this 12 month warranty guarantee, but it won't matter a jot if TSG claim its not an aerial fault, then they'll try charging like they are trying with me.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 5

Re: Faulty & shoddy aerial and cable fitting. ref number VOL013-3*****.

@tonydiditwrote:

Having got no joy from BT or TSG I had to get a seperate local company to come out and remove the old Sky dish,old cables and old fittings and run a new coaxial cable directly from the pole mounted aerial through the wall and fit it to the rear of the set top box using the correct fittings.

So the snag now is even if TSG come out, all the previous work has been removed, neither you no TSG can show any proof of poor workmanship, from what you've also said I presume you're still using the same TSG supplied aerial ? so TSG can show what you do still have is in perfect working order, It might be worth asking for a goodwill gesture or just putting it down to experience and move on.

0 Ratings