cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YorkshireLakeside
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 13

Re: Feedback on the BT TV interface.

BBC regional news is not transmitted in HD, hence when viewing BBC HD you have to change to the BBC standard definition channel and then change back 30mins later. To me this seems pointless in today’s world.

in the old days before all this digital technology watching SD channels still showed regional news and SD channel is fine. This is probably a BBC issue but could be sorted on YouView.

if what you are saying there are multiple reasons  - these smart boxes are therefore not very smart 😉

everyone will have their own views on this which is why unless it is discussed and options made available I think it should be worked through.

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 13

At the moment the Freeview system is a bodge. If the political will was there then the logical move would be to move to DVB-T2 as soon as possible. This would allow the BBC and ITV to transmit their regional output in HD, dropping the SD versions. I know those with older TV sets would be at a disadvantage, but those sets could easily be upgraded with the addition of a set top box, (as was the case when analogue was shut down).

I live in the West Country and here we're left with the crazy situation of getting our ITV HD regional channel from the West Midlands. Bonkers.

As for the BBC regional output it wouldn't be quite so bad if you could use i-player to view BBC 1 as a stopgap. But that streams in SD so no advantage there.

0 Ratings
YorkshireLakeside
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 13

BBC R&D are working on 4K UHD

Will we see more of this in the future and is BT TV ready to receive this? Anyone know the timescales To introduce this?

Although I must say I have set my BT box to use UHD 50fps 10bit, and TV set to gaming mode for what I think is the best picture on my Panasonic 4K TV. If I don’t use gaming mode there’s more digital artefacts due to the TV’s own image processing. 

The UI looks good and Amazon prime UHD looks a bit jumpy when scrolling scenes are shown... but is this the frame rate 50hz rather than 60hz, or content quality?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range

0 Ratings