Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 11 of 57

Re: Feeling Violated

@ProntoSofI wrote:

So disgusted with this we have currently taken the youview box out of the system and reverted to the Freeview sytem of our Smart TV. If we cannot revert to a standard youview update then BT will lose us as customers.

So you've solved it yourself then.  You have taken the box out of service and you are moving to a new ISP - end of story. 

Can you mark this up as 'problem solved'.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 57

As reported in 2014 by this and many other Media reports:

http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2014/05/22/bt-made-a-big-mistake-with-youview-experts-warn/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 57

scointer: A facetious contribution.

it is not a BT box, it is a Humax youview box bought at higher price than the virtually same BT Box in March 2015 specifically because we did not want BT TV

You choose to watch ITV and so presumably put upwith the adverts they use to fund their programs, we did not buy a subsidised box from BT and do not expect to have their advertising logos and links to their Pay TV system. They are our ISP not our TV provider.

We didn't want BT TV then and don't want it now.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 57

The sticky tape solution could work but if they change to Talk Talk for broadband then the box would download their logos instead and problem solved. No more BT!

A well placed pot plant in front of the TV could also work?

Can anyone suggest any suitable herbage?
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 57

So I take it you will be complaining to BBC, itv, channel 4, channel 5, netflix, nowtv, milkshake, uktv and s4c who also have their logos on the box too.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 57

It is a personal choice if I tune in to the channels listed and I have to accept that their logo may be displayed on their broadcast, BT do not broadcast my TV and just like the channels mentioned have no business putting their branded software on my retail hardware purchase.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 57

@ProntoSofI wrote:

As reported in 2014 by this and many other Media reports:

http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2014/05/22/bt-made-a-big-mistake-with-youview-experts-warn/

What that article fails to mention is that before BT signed up with YouView, they already had their own TV boxes, under the "BT Vision+" name.  Those boxes were becoming increasingly obsolete - they didn't even have Freeview HD tuners.  The boxes were too under-powered to add much new functionality.

BT had the choice of developing a whole new platform, completely from scratch, with all the risks that involves.  Or they could sign up with a new industry-standard platform.  This new platform would allow extra services to be downloaded to the box - just like installing apps on a phone.  That's why you can now get Netfix from BT, for instance.

It's that ability to automatically download new modules as they become available that makes YouView what it is, rather than closed and proprietary.  If's also what you're now complaining about.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 18 of 57

I have some sympathy here, if I'd has bought a vanilla You View box and connected it to the internet, I would expect only software pertinent to Vanilla boxes to be loaded via the Software update mechanism. 

If I had bought a retail BT box, they are on the market, but had not subscribed to BT services, that's a different matter, it does seem reasonable for these boxes to be populated by BT as a matter of course, albeit without contract relevant items, especially if connected to BT's ISP network. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 57

Oh my god what a travesty, someone updated your equipment for free to keep it working in this constantly evolving hitech world we all live in, and had the audacity to stick a couple of logos on it. Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 57

Read the whole thread: I bought a youview box not a BT box and have never agreed to have BT TV, this is a youview update which through BT manipulation has caused my non-BT box to display the BT TV logo emblazoned software on all pages and title itself as BT TV (something specifically avoided at time of purchase by paying extra).

Others who have the same box report that they have received the same update via their non-BT Internet Service Provider (ISP) without any specific branding as should be.

I am not grateful in any way for an update that hijacks my non-BT system and replaces it with a system professing to be BT TV when I purposefully avoided buying a BT system.

0 Ratings