Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 57

Re: Feeling Violated

KernowChris: Correct on product Humax DTR T2000 500GB retail NOT BT

The box is our property, perhaps BT would like to come and slap their advertising Logos on our house after all it's their cable entering the house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 32 of 57

I have showed the wife the OPs posts throughtout this thread.  She thinks it's either a very early April fool, simply a good wind-up or the effects of drink.

As she remarked (and with have BT Youview) the BT logos are so prominent she hadn't even noticed them until reading this thread. Smiley Embarassed

Her idea for solving this dilemema - try one of the online therapy forums. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 57

Amazing how people try and ouck up on one detail of the complaint to try and trivalise it, we specifically avoided the whole BT system and plumped fir youview, the whole BT TV system is now being forced upon us complete with attempts to plug their paid for channels, and frankly we don't give a fig about your or your wife's personal opinion.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 34 of 57

Hi Everyone,

Please keep it friendly, we want people to feel comfortable about posting their questions and answers on the forums.

Cheers

Neil

Highlighted
Expert
Message 35 of 57

the irony is that the software is probably made by Humax for BT in the first place, so does Humax actually make a vanilla version and can you download it ?

Given all the silly little quirks that don't ever seem to get fixed I'd say it must be Humax, my original Humax Foxsat is just the same. They updated the firmware a few years back and never fixed any thing. It simmilar to the way Android phones are never updated after a few years i suspect, ie they are more interested in selling you a new phone.

Sky have a much better reputation for fixing software problems, however given how much their customers pay them it's not suprising they are more vocal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 36 of 57

The irony is that the software Humax put on their own non-Youview models is much better than that they are hamstrung by Youview requirements to provide.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 37 of 57

@gomezz wrote:
The irony is that the software Humax put on their own non-Youview models is much better than that they are hamstrung by Youview requirements to provide.

Really?  I have a couple of vanilla Humax PVRs.  Can you tell me what is so much better?  Their current FVP4000T is still plagued with issues 12 months after launch.  The Freesat boxes have problems with disappearing recordings, capacitor failures etc. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 38 of 57

I can't believe that BT feel it's OK to put their brand on my DVR just because I use their internet. Not only that, but I had to wait while a 3 minute mandatory video played extolling the virtues of BT before I could access MY DVR after the update.

I have had previous issues with BT that were only sorted after direct contact with the office of the CEO. Their customer service has little or no continuity between agents and very little understanding of the organisation of their own company. Good look with complaining to them, you'll need it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 39 of 57

" Your box was connected to BT broadband, therefore it pulled down the extra services that BT offers." Really? 

The mere fact that BT supply my broadband does not give them the right to place logos or advertising on what is, essentially, my property. Are you saying that they could legally do the same to my PC/Laptop/Phone?

IIRC BT work in conjunction with YouView but I don't see why that should change anything. I changed from a BT branded box to a Youview box because I was fed up with BT TV and gave up trying to complain to a customer service that couldn't organise a drunken spree in a brewery.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 40 of 57

Put simply, while BT may be within their legal rights, they have probably abused their position as a broadband provider by placing advertising on private property. Something that I am currently in contact with the Competition and Markets Authority about.

As for "it's just the same as TV channel branding". Well, no, it's not. When you tune into ITV for the first time your Television does not lock you out of the controls for 3 minutes while a video plays extolling the virtues of ITV, nor does that happen with any other channel.

Is the OP's post title "Feeling Violated" over the top? Probably, but then so what? Personally I prefer to have a sense of humour than look for a feeble excuse to flame a stranger over the internet.

Is the OP getting reasonable answers from helpful people? Isn't that what this forum is for? Look up "argumentum ad hominem" and "reductio ad absurdum" for the answers to that one. I dare say I'll get my fair share for having the temerity to pop my head up above the parapet but, whatever. Please try not to get too upset when I completely ignore you.

Let me offer the OP a possible solution:

Ask YouView if the branding goes away once you stop using BT broadband. If that is the case, buy a new router that can connect using NordVPN or another VPN service that uses their own DNS (That DNS bit is important). Then, when your contract runs out, move to a decent broadband provider that doesn't take liberties with your property.

HAND Smiley Wink