Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 41 of 57

Re: Feeling Violated

As I understand it Youview have effectively 3 skins one for TalkTalk ISP , one for BT ISP and one for the rest and they supply the skin relevant to the line that the  Youview box connects to. That has been the situation since Day 1 of Youview .. with the Next Generation Youview  it is just that there is a lot more logo and branding on Next Generation Youview ISP skins.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 42 of 57

@anyoldnamehere wrote:

Put simply, while BT may be within their legal rights, they have probably abused their position as a broadband provider by placing advertising on private property. Something that I am currently in contact with the Competition and Markets Authority about.

As for "it's just the same as TV channel branding". Well, no, it's not. When you tune into ITV for the first time your Television does not lock you out of the controls for 3 minutes while a video plays extolling the virtues of ITV, nor does that happen with any other channel.

Is the OP's post title "Feeling Violated" over the top? Probably, but then so what? Personally I prefer to have a sense of humour than look for a feeble excuse to flame a stranger over the internet.

Is the OP getting reasonable answers from helpful people? Isn't that what this forum is for? Look up "argumentum ad hominem" and "reductio ad absurdum" for the answers to that one. I dare say I'll get my fair share for having the temerity to pop my head up above the parapet but, whatever. Please try not to get too upset when I completely ignore you.

Let me offer the OP a possible solution:

Ask YouView if the branding goes away once you stop using BT broadband. If that is the case, buy a new router that can connect using NordVPN or another VPN service that uses their own DNS (That DNS bit is important). Then, when your contract runs out, move to a decent broadband provider that doesn't take liberties with your property.

HAND Smiley Wink

Where has BT placed adverstising on private property pray tell?  Certainly not on your private property because the new UI is clould based and does not reside on your Youview box.  Best of luck with the CMA - at least it just brighten up their day. Smiley Happy

Perhaps you would think about posting again, only this time acknowledging you may have got grasped the wrong end of the stick?

P.S. why not add this to your latin vocabulary - Gallus-sursum

Highlighted
Expert
Message 43 of 57

This happened to me yesterday - my Humax box DTR1000has been invaded by BT and quite hopeless software.  Does anyone know if this can be rolled back by doing a factory reset?  I can't amend my list of channels and I can't finf my recored programmes in a screen full of floating squares.  Was this software tested by anyone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 57

where did you get your Humax box from ?

If its 2nd hand its very probable that it was originally a BT box as if I remember right the 1000's could be reflashed with custom firmware to make them to normal Youview boxes. I've still got mine in the loft which I flashed and I also remember doing my Dad's too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 45 of 57

Mine was brand new from John Lewis - I paid real money for it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 46 of 57

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 47 of 57

I can understand the annoyance of the whole thing, if I'd paid outright for something I wouldn't then want a company to come along at a later date and slap their branding on it.

However, a modicum of perspective is required here. By all means complain, make your annoyance felt. Bottom line though is this - nobody has died, nobody is injured, your youview box still functions perfectly well (the complaint is about branding not functionality) so I think to use the word "violated" is a little dramatic and unhelpful.

It makes the OP sound less like someone with a legitimate complaint, and more like someone with too much time on his hands and little or no life. Read a book, go on a cruise, spend your time and effort on some voluntary work instead.  You'll find it so much more rewarding than sitting at home feeling "violated" by BT and YV. Violated is how you might feel having had your home ransacked by burglars, or how sex crime victims might feel. Like I say, perspective. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 57

I have a retail box from John Lewis, but its stiil on the old interface.

I use OpenDNS and after examining the data packets from the YouView box, which seems to report everything you do. Out of interest, I have blocked the youview.tv domain, to see what happens

Looking at my OpenDNS blocked requests, there appears to be lots blocked ending in that domain.

feeds-live.youview.tv

message-live.youview.tv

reporting-live.youview.tv

ipchannels-reporting-live.youview.tv

ids-live.youview.tv

errormessage-reporting-live.youview.tv

updates-live.youview.tv

config-live.youview.tv

Whether it affects updates, it will be interesting to see.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 49 of 57

Huge sympathy to the original poster - not just for the problems he's having but also the laughable responses.

I'm absolutely with you. I've had my own Youview box for two years. I moved to BT broadband on Friday and now my box that I paid money for has been hijacked by BT with BT branding, a worse interface, and crucially a buggy OS that has already crashed three times resulting in it needing to be switched off at the wall and re-booted. It's an absolute cheek.

I absolutely understand the annoyance. I do not understand the reponses suggesting this is in some way trivial or an April Fool joke. It's not. It's corporate vandalism of your own private property and shows an arrogance and contempt beyond belief.

I was told by tech support that the way to fix it would be to simply unplug the broadband. Would that help? No. Would it give me the old stable OS back? No. Would it mean I lose all on demand services? Yes.

I have requested a replacement box from BT to replace the one they have made unreliable and it has been promised at no charge, so fair enough to them for that, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 57

See the posting here 

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Why-does-my-YouView-box-now-have-BT-TV-logos-on-screen/m-p...

So any new box will have the same branding, unless you leave it disconnected from the Internet, and just use it as a PVR.