cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 51 of 57

Re: Feeling Violated

It will have the same branding. The issue isn't so much with the branding but the unreliability of the new OS on the old box. It's necessitated switching off at the mains three times in the first four days. That soon ceases to be a source of amusement. Hopefully a new BT box running the BT OS will be slightly more reliable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 52 of 57

I think you are misunderstanding. BT doesn't have its own social OS. Every single YouView box that is connected to broadband is receiving this NextGen You view update, or as some may call it, YouView 2.0.

There has always been BT/Talktalk branding within the GUI of YouView depending on your BB provider. One thing that the new software has done is just make the BT/Talktalk branding a little more easily visible.

The only point of note is that access to the BT Player would be available on ANY YouView box connected to. BT BB line. Similarly​, access to the Talktalk Player equivalent would be made available to ANY YouView box connected to a Talktalk BB line.

The only way to have a YouView box (e.g. Retail) without any BT/Talktalk GUI branding and/or access to the respective BB provider's player, would be to have your YouView box connected to a broadband line like Sky or Virgin.

No YouView boxes or software has been hijacked. It's all actually rather simple to understand and makes perfect sense.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 57

@Mallett94 wrote:

... The only point of note is that access to the BT Player would be available on ANY YouView box connected to. BT BB line... 

So if BT is your isp but you don't subscribe to the TV service, what exactly do you see when you try to access the BT Player? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 54 of 57

You don't have to have a BT TV subscription to access the BT Player. You have the option to rent/purchase On Demand content from the BT Player. People who have some level of BT TV Subscription will have free to access content as well as purchasable content within the BT Player.
Highlighted
Message 55 of 57

I too bought a non BT Tv Humax DTR-T2000 at higher cost than the BT branded version. It updated itself to the BT operating system. I too am deeply annoyed by this. I don't mind the BT Icons, the problem is the Update removes several key features that make the box unusable for me.

In reply to some of your respondents, the box still allows me to do most of the things I want to. It does not, however provide a means to customise the user guide. I cannot remove the channels I do not watch. These are the likes of QVC, Jewellery channel, and a host of other sales channels. I find it deeply annoying to have to scroll past these to find the channels I want. The update states 'Your tv recorder has been made better' I disagree.

I do not subscribe to BT Tv, I will never subscribe. I do not want to have the BT Player on my non BT Tv desktop, I cannot use it. The legal agreement does not make it clear that the player's basic functions will be removed and irrelevant players added. If it did, I would take it back to the Shop. This does look like an advertising gimick to make customers aware of BT Tv.

BT should at least check if a user is a BT Tv subscriber before downloading their own update. I now require BT to tell me how I can restore the original non BT Tv operating system and avoid this unwanted update in future, otherwise I will cease to be a BT broadband customer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 57

I have some sympathy with the poster.

It is not BT TV that are providing any of the services he watches., He is merely using a BT broadband connection, but his TV is coming in via aerial from a multitude of suppliers

I agree BT (or any othert ISP) should not brand a service they simply are not providing. It should only be branded when he is watching something supplied by BT TV.  simple

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 57 of 57

In reply to some of your respondents, the box still allows me to do most of the things I want to. It does not, however provide a means to customise the user guide. I cannot remove the channels I do not watch. These are the likes of QVC, Jewellery channel, and a host of other sales channels. I find it deeply annoying to have to scroll past these to find the channels I want. The update states 'Your tv recorder has been made better' I disagree.

I have already ordered a freeview PVR , one that allows you to make your own lists of favourite channels. Also I have ordered a Roku 3 for streaming (it will be far better anyway and allows more suppliers) total cost about the same as a BT youview box, but way way better.

0 Ratings