Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

Freeview HD Channels Pixelation

Go to solution

I've started to get this problem and I havent been able to tie it down yet. I get the same thing I watch the signal strength and when it happens both quality and strength drop to 0% then recover.

Normally they hover at Strength 85% and quality 100% which you would think is fine.

I have two aerial feeds going from loft to lounge and both have the same issue so it can be cabling. My amplifier is a few years old now but has a 4g filter. My aerial is good enough.

I had it months and months ago but didnt really get to bottom of it and its been fine for ages and just started happening again in last few days.

I have the Ultra HD box too. I also have the small HD Box too in the dining room but strangely it doesnt seem to be happening with that box.

So is it the Ultra HD box, the amp or the aerial and cable from roof to amp.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Message 2 of 15

Re: Freeview HD Channels Pixelation is there a solution

Go to solution
It is the box that is prone to interference
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Re: Freeview HD Channels Pixelation

Go to solution

Hi @varkanoid I have moved your post to create your own thread as that's the best thing to do.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@varkanoid

It could be too much signal overloading the YouView box. You could try a 6dB attenuator which you can get from TV shops or online.

Signal overload is quite a common problem, especially if you have an amplifier.

See

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Second-YouView-box-second-Freeview-picture-issue/m-p/16706...

The same symptoms

"If I go to the settings page I can see both the signal and quality go from a respectable 80% down to zero than back to 80% and back to zero again... endlessly."

And

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Picture-breaking-up/m-p/1696786#M32946

0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

I bought one today and just waiting for the other half to stop watching Strictly so I can try it.

If it is this problem then the Ultra HD box is too sensitive to a strong signal where as my other normal HD box copes with it fine.

Also worth noting I have got one of the Ultra HD boxes which get really hot over the rf modulator back right corner or whatever tech they use now.

0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Just an quick update. Reduced signal strength to 70% and so far not had any picture drop outs etc. They were happening quite frequently during Strictly and start of Michael Macintyre but have stopped at the moment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

That does sound like the problem.

Devices like the YouView box can only cope with a smaller signal range that a TV. Too much signal will mean it will fail to recover the digital waveform from the transmitted muxes, resulting in errors, which causes  picture breakup.

TVs are made to cope with a much wider range of signal level as they can automatically adjust the gain to give a watchable picture from almost no signal. That is what sells TVs Smiley Wink

For a recording device, signal quality is the most important. Signal strength need to be just enough to give 100% signal quality on all channels, and no more.

0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Just to confirm buying a TV attenuator and turning down the signal strength to 70% has solved all the pixelattion/screen dropouts.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@varkanoid wrote:

Just to confirm buying a TV attenuator and turning down the signal strength to 70% has solved all the pixelattion/screen dropouts.

I am pleased that its sorted, it appears to be an issue many people, including support, seem to forget.

Strangely enough, I was involved in this sort of issue many years ago, when the first transistorised analogue UHF 625 line TVs were first introduced.

The transistor front end tuner (those were the days!) used to be easily overloaded by too much signal. In the days of analogue TV, that resulted in intermodulation, where adjacent TV channels would cause all sorts of strange effects on the screen.

A pocketful of different attenuators was always available Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
highnoon1966
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I have been experiencing the exact same problem since upgrading to the UHD box, was fine before on the old HD box. I have just ordered 3, 6 and 12 db attenuators so will hopefully be able to resolve the issue as well. Thanks for the thread it has stopped me scratching my head trying to think what the problem might have been.

0 Ratings