cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Freeview HD channels missing

As of early this evening all of my Freeview HD channels have disappeared from my Youview box. I was watching BBC One (Scotland) HD when it just went blank, and then flicking through the channels noticed that the others like BBC Two HD, Channel 4 HD were also blank but the standard BBC One, Two, etc. was working.

I retuned my box and now all HD channels are missing from the guide list including the standard 1-5 HD channels , BBC Scotland HD, BBC News HD, even QVC HD etc.

I wondered if maybe the HD channel frequency had changed or been updated and my aeriel wasn't picking them up but on plugging the aeriel directly into the TV, I am able to get all those channels on my TV's built in Freeview with a good signal.

Any ideas why the BT Youview box wouldn't be picking them up all of a sudden when my TV can still get them from the aeriel?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Freeview HD channels missing

It could be that Arqiva are doing some work on the transmitter or there could also be a local fault

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Okay thanks. Do you think I should wait and try it again later then in case the fault get resolved?

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 4 of 10

I'd leave it a while but Freeview do have a fault checker on their website

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

I've has the same problem for a few days (weeks?).  I am sure it must be the Box because if I connect the TV (Panasonic circa 2010) to the aerial directly all the channels I expect to be available are, and are of excellent quality.

However not only does the Box not output the HD channels at all, in addition reception of quite a few of the other channels is very poor as well. (I'm using an HDMI cable to connect the Box to the TV.)

Interestingly, if I feed the signal to the TV's aerial using the  Box's "Aerial Out" reception is fine on all channels including HD - provided the Box is on or in stand by. Using this method of signal feed, if the Box has no power supply then the TV doesn't get any HD signal but all the non HD channels are still fine.

I know this doesn't help you - but it might serve as extra info to the geniuses on here who actually do know their stuff!

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

@ClareRM 

The Youview box's tuners are inferior to most TVs and what's probably happened is that the power for those channels was reduced - not uncommon btw - so the box could no longer find them.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually re-tuned the box just now and the channels are back - I counted and 13 HD channels in total and checked a few signal strengths which are in the 80%s.

So seems like there has been a fault somewhere but it's working now.

Expert
Message 8 of 10

@ClareRM I suspect that Arqiva were doing some work and restricted the signal strength temporarily. We're the Midlands and lost a few channels for a few days

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

For future reference, note that is not a good idea to retune to try and fix a problem like this until and unless you have explored every other possibility.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Okay thanks - will keep in mind that any work could bring the signal down.

0 Ratings