cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Freeview without ariel BT box pro

I've been told by 2 different BT telephone operators that I can watch Freeview without an ariel with the new Box pro. Does anyone know if this is in fact true? Everywhere I look it says I need an ariel. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Freeview without ariel BT box pro

Here we go again...

It's a facility in development that might launch next week, next year or never. Unfortunately BT's inadequate training means your not the first to be told this lie.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/TV-aerial-to-watch-freeview/td-p/2214660

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the info. They also forwarded me an email explaining how I can activate and receive them through the new box, but until I receive the box I will not know for sure. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@DarrenDev 

Apparently the fairy story now comes with instructions! 🤔

@Poodytat 

I would imagine this will require a firmware update to implement, does the email reference that?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@Poodytat could you please forward those email instructions to me at tv.apps@bt.com?

Please don't post the instructions here - they'll only confuse matters.

Message 6 of 11

@DarrenDev  

Forwarded as per your request 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@DarrenDevwrote:

Please don't post the instructions here - they'll only confuse matters.

Sorry, edited my post.

Message 8 of 11

Oh wow. Those instructions have absolutely nothing to do with receiving channels over broadband, and you won't even be able to get to the screen they reference as your BT TV Box Pro will currently fail to even complete setup without a TV aerial.

I'll reply to your email too - if you could let me know the details requested, I'll contact the agent you spoke to and ask them to re-educate themselves.

Message 9 of 11

Update: the agent has been contacted and corrected.

Their manager has also been informed, who is now also cascading this update to other team managers to share with their teams.

Message 10 of 11

I ordered BT Fibre Essential with BT TV entertainment on 7 April. 

I was aware that linear digital terrestrial/Freeview channels weren’t being delivered over multicast. Therefore, the below didn’t influence the sale. I took the deal mainly because the six pounds deal meant I was effectively getting discounted Netflix basic.

However, when discussing my order with the sales rep, I said a problem with taking the service would be that I didn’t have a rooftop aerial. He replied by saying that we deliver most of the channels over the internet now but I could plug an aerial in if I wanted as back up.  This came across that he was implying free channels were being delivered via IPTV presently.

I think some sales reps think the multicast broadcasts have launched.

I do like the box on the whole though and like how the Now and the pay TV multicast streams are incorporated into the EPG. My portable aerial does pick up some of the dig ter multiplexes fairly well.

0 Ratings