Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 11 of 86

Re: Future box update

@Keyinferno wrote:

@Stevek1311 wrote:

Seems T1000s will never get back the functionality removed from them by this Next Gen farce nor be allowed to return to Old Gen even though BT have taken more control of the position.

This is a despicable way to treat the most loyal long term customers.  

All things move forward and this situation is no different to any other sevice or device. Do you have one?

Yes but I also have a replacement T2100 they gave me that's even worse because of the live pause issue.  I now know the T1000 will never get back to where it was and the T2100 likely won't either

A Humax beckons now BT have finally fixed my broadband after 8 days - this really isn't their finest month, year, decade.  But I digress. Thing is I really do live in some naive hope someone will sort this, walk into the YV building, fire the culprits and make a public announcement that they are committed to get this fixed by date X or offer all a one time revert back to Old Gen

I know, dream on Steve

Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 86

It'll be some time before the end user gets any benefit from this, if any as it could work the other way.

It's mainly personal choice when it comes to tweaks, I prefer my STB to not have extras added thad don't add value, such as hiding channels. The more that gets added the more clunky the STB tends to be.

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 86

Post 1 

“Hi Everyone,

I can confirm that the statement that YouView have released over on their community is correct. Things will be a little different from now on, we’ll bring new features and updates to BT set top boxes based on our customer feedback rather than generic updates across BT, TalkTalk and Plusnet."

Does anyone know what this actually means?

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 86

@Keyinferno wrote:

Post 1 

“Hi Everyone,

I can confirm that the statement that YouView have released over on their community is correct. Things will be a little different from now on, we’ll bring new features and updates to BT set top boxes based on our customer feedback rather than generic updates across BT, TalkTalk and Plusnet."

I think the YouView announcement that is being referred to is this:

"We are committed to continuously develop and improve the experience using the advances in technology in order to serve viewers and meet the ambitions of our partners.

Our new Cloud infrastructure helps us achieve this by bringing more flexibility for our partners to tailor their YouView offering according to their needs. As a result devices may vary in functionality, features, Players or Apps."

I'm not entirely sure what that means either!  It could mean that YouView are going to make a series of separate improvements that BT etc can choose and add as they wish. It doesn't suggest to me that BT will be tailoring the software based on their customer feedback.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 86

I believe there are 3 versions or partner boxes I.e. Youview Retail, BT and TalkTalk. I take it to mean that each partner can decide what programming and applications they want to include individually. It could mean that BT  will develop its own Apps in the long term.

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 86

@Keyinferno wrote:

Post 1 

“Hi Everyone,

The article links to this page https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7604247/youview-statement-on-box-updates#latest

What it effectively means is Youview will continue updating retail boxes as is but BT et al will now only update their boxes with the functions they deem fit to give their paying customers. One such example being the latest retail Youview update https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/humax-software-update-29-44-10 which shows no signs of reaching BT boxes anytime soon, certainly according to postings on other popular and knowledgable sites and forums.

It also means that the Youview partners, in our case BT, may have apps that the others won't get, such as the full Now TV app when it appears sometime next year exclusively to BT boxes. It also means retail boxes could also include apps that the others won't take up.

It is effectively a sort of splitting of the ways between Youview (retail) and their partners (BT & Talk Talk).

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 86

@robert1997 wrote:

It also means that the Youview partners, in our case BT, may have apps that the others won't get, such as the full Now TV app when it appears sometime next year exclusively to BT boxes. It also means retail boxes could also include apps that the others won't take up.

It is effectively a sort of splitting of the ways between Youview (retail) and their partners (BT & Talk Talk).

I definitely don't think it means that. In regards to different apps, bt and talktalk have always had different stuff on them so no change there.

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 86

@Keyinferno wrote:

@robert1997 wrote:

I definitely don't think it means that. In regards to different apps, bt and talktalk have always had different stuff on them so no change there.

You must be in a minority that thinks that way if you read around elsewhere.

We're talking about different apps, not different 'stuff'. The two statements from BT and Youview, especially the one BT opened this thread with are very self explanatory and easy to understand. Sorry if you don't wish to know what they really mean but if you read them again you're sure to understand their content.

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 86

@robert1997 wrote:

The two statements from BT and Youview, especially the one BT opened this thread with are very self explanatory and easy to understand. 

Are they? Not to me there not?

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 86

Sorry but to me yes they are. You could have a look around some other forums such as the Youview Community forum where a few people closely linked to Youview and various related projects post regularly with their insight and knowledge. It will also keep you more up to date with developments than anything you'll read here where announcements on new updates/features usually take days to filter through to the BT team.

0 Ratings