cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

G5 box turning on whenever I turn on another source device

I have previously reported this issue when I first got the G5 box as a replacement for my failing T2100

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/G5-box-turning-on-whenever-TV-turned-on/m-p/2163031/high...

In summary when the  G5 box is in deep sleep mode and I turn on another source device such as my Digitalstream PVR or my Humax Freesat PVR then the G5 box also turns on.  This didn't happen previously with the T2100 nor does it happen if the G5 box is in light sleep mode (I have it set to do this during the evenings),

Today did an experiment and unplugged the G5 box completely apart from the power feed  and it still did it.  I can only conclude that it is being triggered by some fluctuation in the power supply caused by turning on one of the other devices.  Or am I missing something?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: G5 box turning on whenever I turn on another source device

It would seem unlikely but as they, when you've eliminated everything else...

Have you tried powering the other devices on manually rather than from the Harmony? Just in case the Harmony is sending a spurious power on command. I take it you have the Humax set to an alternate IR range as it shares the BT range as default.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Yes, I have tried using the original remotes and if the Harmony was sending a spurious power on command the G5 would turn on whether in deep sleep or light sleep mode.

My next step is to try moving the G5 power feed to another living room socket rather than sharing the same power strip as the other devices.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Do you still have the PSU from the T2100? It might be a little down on current for a permanent swap but should be enough to prove is there's an issue with the 4000 PSU picking up spikes.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Yes, that is another thing to try.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

It's most likely that the G5 and the Freesat box remote controls use the same frequency so, when you press the on button, anything that can receive the signal will switch on. I had this problem and found the only way round it was to have one switch on as the other switched off. If I recall, to do this, I had to disconnect one from the mains and switch the other one on using the remote. Then, when I plugged the other one back in and pressed the button on the remote, it switched on and the other turned off.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

No it is not that. First the Freesat box is using an alternate remote control signal set. Second this happens also with my Digitalstream Freeview PVR which does not share the same remote control signal set in the first place. And third it *only* happens when the G5 box is in deep sleep mode and not when it is in light sleep mode.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Today I changed the power supply brick over to the one actually supplied with the G5 - I had originally cheated the task of unthreading the old power brick from the spaghetti of cabling and just re-used the old brick after checking it was the same spec voltage output and current supply capability.

Ran an extension from an electric socket on the other side of the room to the the G5 box and plugged it. Gave it a test and ... still the G5 fired up spontaneously when turning on another device. It even did this when turning on the old optical switch box which is no longer connected to anything since I replace my old AV amp which tends to rule out something happening over wi-fi.

I am totally totally stumped. This gremlin is too good at hiding for me. 😞

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

More investigation today and it appears the G5 box is programmed to wake up from deep sleep (but not from light sleep) to a whole raft of remote control ON/OFF codes and not just the one it is supposed to . Perhaps a mod can have a chat with the OS team to see if they can check this? @SeanD

So my workaround is to going to have to be to have a little flap (*) that drops down over the IR receiver of the G5 box during the day when I want to use one of the other devices. 😞

(*) A square from a roll of thick black Velcro stuck to the top of the box with black insulating tape seems to do a fairly neat and discreet job - certainly by my botch and make do handiwork standards.

0 Ratings