Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DazzaS83
Contributor
Message 111 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Go to solution
One of my 2 G5 boxes updated overnight. I presume the other will come in due course. Must admit I prefer the new look and definitely seems faster.
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 112 of 1,295

Go to solution

It's happened… BTW the 2 minute intro video lasts 2.48! Good start LOL

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 113 of 1,295

Go to solution

Not really related to the update, but would be nice if the Youview phone App could show recordings set on the box as well as those made on the App.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 114 of 1,295

Go to solution

I can longer see exaclty  how far I am behind live broadcast whilst using live pause… ? Nice clock on top right hand corner though and the OSD goes away when on pause which I think it didn't do before ?

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 115 of 1,295

Go to solution

MY OBSERVATIONS:

Unfortunately I'm not impressed whatsoever. I've a few observations from operation on my G4 box.

1. With this new software backing up out of the apps/players takes you back to live tv rather than back into the apps/players menu screen.

2. How do you return to the beginning of a recording you've previously begun watching? Had watched 30 minutes of a 59 minute recording and wanted to resume from the beginning. The only thing you can now do is press on the recording which takes you to the point you left off. Now the only way I can see to return to the beginning is to rewind back through the programme. **A big backwards step in functionality**

3. In the MyTV screen you get one big tile (the 1st one in the list) and the rest are smaller. When you scroll over the other tiles they are not brought into 'focus' (ie. made bigger with the other tile then reducing in size). Not only is it a little untidy in operation it also doesn't make sense to have it this way. Why not make all tiles the same size, or, implement a 'focus' feature for the highlighted tile only?

4. I have two programmes scheduled in MyTV. The 1st tile (as above) is bigger than the 2nd and highlighting the 2nd doesn't bring it into 'focus'.

After restarting the box from standby the tiles in the Mytv 'scheduled' screen are messed up. The 1st tile is still highlighted bigger but the thumbnail has reduced in size. There is now a gap between the 1st and 2nd scheduled recordings. When I scroll across to the 2nd recording there now appears a blank tile in between the 1st and (apparent) 2nd which also contains the info for scheduled recording 1 when pressing'info'.

**Unrelated to the software update but I'd like to see the version of 'All4' which is on the Freesat platform to come to Youview. Its much better in functionality and menu choices/layout etc**

My contract for BTTV runs until the 1st week of August but that's where it will end as I honestly feel this is a step backwards in functionality and usefulness of the Youview software. By trying to have an all-singing-all-dancing setup to attempt some sort of catch up to Sky's Q offering I feel they have taken their eye off the ball and implemented a software version which has been poorly thought out, poorly tested, and ultimately implemented.

I know many will disagree with my findings but I simply felt I should share my own personal views on the things which irk me about this (in my opinion) 'downgrade'.

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 116 of 1,295

Go to solution
I believe if you press ok while in the recording it takes you back to the start
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 117 of 1,295

Go to solution

I'll try that later but I must say that if you are correct then its another daft function. A context menu (as before) is a much more logical way to implement returning to the beginning of a half-watched recording. Bizarre!!! I'm beginning to think this software was written by clueless people who never use these types of devices.

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 118 of 1,295

Go to solution

Taken from the Youview Community Forums where there is much more information than what BT will impart. I know some of this will be old knowledge to some people but there are still lots of people waiting to get the update.

"If you start watching a part watched recording, but decide you want to watch it from the beginning again, press and hold the OK button on the remote for 3 seconds and it will take you back to the beginning again.

If you have a number of recordings over a number of pages, you can use the remotes channel up/down button to scroll your recordings page by page, as opposed to tile by tile."

"How do you stop a recording once it has started?" -  Whilst you are watching the content, press the 'Rec' button again. A panel will then come up offering the options of - Stop recording. Record series. Back.

Some videos can be found here https://support.youview.com/help-videos-user-guides?_ga=1.161294905.566588505.1490372948#

Another issue I personally dislike is having the highlight jumping to the tile of the most recent recording in a series when you go into a series in MyTV. This requires scrolling backwards to get to the beginning of the list and the last viewed recording.

In MyTV its not the tiles I have issue with as such, rather its the truncated programme title which seems daft. Spoils the overall appearance of the new recordings menu.

Shame also you can't now type in the time on the progress bar to jump to a specific point. That was very useful on recorded 'live' football matches where you could leap directly to kick off.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 119 of 1,295

Go to solution

@robert1997  I thought you actually get some useful onscreen guidance when restarting recordings.

When you start to play a previously partly watched recorded program I believe you actually get a prompt which says

HOLD OK TO RESTART

Also if watching a recording if you press Pause again you get the that prompt. Similatly if you select Play you see the Prompt..

Doing nothing continues playing but holding OK for long enough will restart from the beginning of the recording. You will probably see a countdown 3 2 1 and a message saying RESTARTING.

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 120 of 1,295

Go to solution

Anyone know if you can choose which channels appear at the bottom of the screen as 'on now' ? Would be handy if you could pick your own favourites...

0 Ratings