Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 451 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Go to solution

@b-dave-t wrote:

WHAT! No longer able to 'hide' the garbage.

"BT TV" imposes masses of marketing channels without consulting the bill-payer (customer). What right have they got to decide what my TV OFFERS?  Bring back the yellow-button 'hide' function immediately

Its YouView that has decided to make these changes. All providers that supply the YouView service are affected, not just BT.

Its all about money now, by pushing out advertising. Now its in the cloud, there is not much you can do about it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DaveGrohl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 452 of 1,295

Go to solution

The new BT Youview interface is appalling. Everything is now slower, whether due to having to press more buttons or just the fact that the box is less responsive in everything it does.

Binning the excellent list format in recordings and replacing it with these tiles is idiotic. Re the fewer clicks point made above, it's far easier to keep clicking an extra time or two navigating down a list than to have to click several times one way then several times at right angles, you have to move your finger to another key. It's just easier in one direction only.

The back to start menu after watching a recording is just mindboggling. Who thought this was a good idea? Seriously? And if you have a lot of recordings in a series it takes forever to get back to what you've just watched in order to delete it or watch the next in the series. Who the hell tested this thing?

The whole tile/list thing and navigation lunacy makes me angry enough every time I use the box, but to add to it all we now have 30% of the screen blacked out at the bottom. For a whole 5 seconds!! Absolutely **bleep** mental. There is no way to alter this either. It's horrendous. This happens every time you press any button. What person in their right minds wants nearly a third of their telly obliterated for 5 seconds? Yes but you can press close. Thanks for that.

Loving the patronising comments on here about people not liking change btw. Some changes you can adapt to if there is some ultimate benefit. This is just idiotic change for change's sake. "Yes but it's modern"? I can't really post what I think about a comment like that!!

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 453 of 1,295

Re: Program Information now useless

Go to solution

@servicefailure wrote:

Prior to the upgrade, the program info had two displays which changed very quickly on pressing info. If you were lucky, the details screen had some of the missing info.

Re BIB: Id you pressed Info on the programme in the old Recording List it would show you that information without it flashing off again.  Sadly, as you say, no way at all of seeing it now.  😞

0 Ratings
ShereeB55
Message 454 of 1,295

Go to solution

I absolutely agree with everything you have said. And I too hate it when people feel the need to be so darn patronising about us folks who hate this appalling update. Failing to be open minded or objective is a major problem these days. Good luck with your Youview, mine is going in the skip 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 455 of 1,295

Re: MyTV View...

Go to solution

@mfin wrote:

This is enough to make me pay for Sky (just for a decent interface again) and I am going to call Sky right now!

I've got some great news for you - Sky are now using a very similar UI - SkyQ.  Perhaps you should read some of their forums before making the jump - enjoy. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 456 of 1,295

Go to solution

@scointer wrote:

There are two opposing arguments. One is people want the least amount of button presses, Grid arrangements allow this. The second is people want to read down a straight line, Lists let you do this. Different people want different things.

The Tile grid allows 12 recordings on a page (as opposed to 9 in the old list view), to get to recording number 6 you would need to press down 5 times on the old style. In this tile grid format you press right twice and down once (3 button presses).

There are always plus and minuses and it will take some fine tuning to get closer to keeping most people happy...

Good point 🙂 

I wonder, with this new UI if it's the case that it works better if you have a good internet connection? I've seen some complaints that the new UI is much slower but I've not seen this at all, if anything mine is faster now?

However as to comments about the new UI being appalling & people saying they'll ditch their Youview box, I  just don't get the vitriol towards it. I admit I like the new UI & think it's a real improvement (and I'm against change for the sake of change), but what's the alternative - this new UI affects all Youview boxes, not just BT. And other providers like Sky already use a very similar format.

At the end of the day though, like it or not, the box still does exactly what it did before; it still records programs, you can still watch Sky Sports or whatever your channels of choice & the BT store is still there etc etc...

0 Ratings
nigelf
Contributor
Message 457 of 1,295

Go to solution

Just wanted to say that I agree with most of the posts here. I don't like the tiles at all, and if you must have them why have a stupid big one which makes no sense at all.

I don't object to the new programme guide, but the recordings bit is a mess. Please, please, please lets have an option to have a list of programs like we had before. I don't object to having tiles as an option if some people prefer it, but a list is much quicker to find programs than the stupid tiles. And the program in the background instead of a little preview screen, what is the point of that!

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 458 of 1,295

Go to solution

Can BT point to a single Forum post, customer Email or comment that requested ditching a tried and tested simple list format in favour of huge unoptional images ? My 2005 Panasonic DVD /HDD recorder had thumbnails, but you could turn them off.

It's another  ploy to blur the distinction between subscription/ PPV content I reckon, guess which makes BT the most money ?

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 459 of 1,295

Go to solution

I finally got the update yesterday, and was not looking forward to it after reading many of the posts here. My opinion so far................... What is all the fuss about? I quite like the new layout, yes there are issues to resolve, but dumping the box in the skip! Come on.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 460 of 1,295

Go to solution

Yip, finally got the update the other night, on the old 1000 box. So far works fine. Apart from the transparency when using the guide etc. - which is easily turned off in settings - I'm  happy enough with it. Mind you I don't get near the remote that much!

0 Ratings