Just got the update on my G4 box. I haven't read much of this thread as it's far too long now, so apologies if any of this is repeating what others have said, but these are the most obvious issues I've come across after playing with it for just ten minutes. None of this is influenced by anything I've read here or anywhere else, these are my own observations...
1) The UI generally feels slightly more sluggish than before. Nothing terrible, but not quite as quick as before, and certainly not the performance boost BT claimed it would bring.
2) Why does the menu open as soon as you bring the box out of standby?! The first thing you have to do is press 'Close' when you turn it on. Pointless.
3) Horizontal carousels don't wrap aropund to the beginning, so if you navigate right through a long list, you have to navigate left all the way back to the beginning again.
4) No current time indicator on the time bar when you press OK.
5) One large tile for the newest programme in recordings and then smaller tiles for everything else makes it impossible to
get any sense of chronology in your recordings. What order is everything in? Do I look across, then down? Do I look from left to right across the rows that are to the right of the large tile, then move down and look left to right underneath the large tile? It's all a mess.
6) When you open a 'folder' for a show with multiple recordings, the focus is on the newest episode. Wouldn't most people want it on the oldest? Then, when you've watched an episode and deleted it, it kicks you right back out to the main 'My TV' menu - so to watch the next episode, you have to navigate back to your programme folder, then navigate back to the oldest episode. It totally goes against the modern trend of 'binge watching', where everything is usually geared up to watching the next episode in sequence with the bare minimum of button presses (if any).
You could go with a freeview pvr (a few good ones out there) and team it up with a roku for catch up (and loads more) OR you could go with Freesat if you have a dish. Plenty of options still available if you want a more "user friendly" experience overall.
I couldn't agree more. It's dreadful. I HATE the listing of recording and scheduled programs - pictures now - SO cluttered, you can't read it properly.
And I watch a lot of recorded programs with subtitles. You go into a recording and it tells you that subtitles are not available - which is rubbish. So I have to set subtitle function THEN go into program and titles are there. Iritating.
But can someone please tell if I can have text only on recorded and scheduled programs. It's appalling. I pay for this - and now I hate it. Do BT empoyees read these posts?
I agree with all these comments about the 'upgrade'. The person who designed this must be from another planet!!
The recordings and shedule list are far less user friendly....who needs pretty colours and pictures, the previous set up was much better to use and see.
There should have been an option on the upgrade to allow you to revert back to the previous software.
This is a backward step BT!
If you use BT broadband any Youview box connected to it gets this mad update. My John Lewis bought one was interfered with before my BT one - and I don't have BT TV or any other paid service. Pure, dead cross.
Now I get it. If you're paying less than what Sky costs (for a heck of a lot more content on Sky) then you feel its ok to have any old rubbish threw at you. You must have a very low opinion of yourself. Of course, this isnt about money, its about software.
You can get FREEview (for FREE) and still get a box that looks and performs better than Youview.