cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 531 of 1,295

Re: Can I revert to old YouView software?

Go to solution

@srpsrp wrote:

@zulu17 wrote:

@jpadeutsch wrote:

Some of the really annoying changes are:-

4. On pressing the OK key while viewing a channel, the channel number and program title are display. Previously it also displayed the previous and next program titles. These have been removed. I don't miss the previous prgoram,but the next program is useful.

Use the >  right arrow keys your remote.

you can I believe use it whilst watching your current programme 

also you can  it after having first pressed the OK  key  ( the on next option).

the previous programmes are also listed.

the < (left arrow) key can be used similarly to view previous programmes on the same channel.

Oncei that ON Next/Previous mini screen you can use Up or down key to see current , next and previously broadcast programs for subsequent channels whilst continuing to watch the currently tuned channel on the remainder of the screen. By keying a channel number you can in thiis mode  set he on now/previous/0n next for that channel .

But the point made is valid, it no longer shows you the next programme when you press OK. Not great design, unless you have ESP or are happy to press random keys in the hopes of discovering hidden features.

No ESP required as it was clearly flagged up you could do this in the new UI info.  Not everyone needs to be spoon fed, the information is out there, all you have to do is let it in. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 532 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Go to solution

SRPSRP writes --- My Humax Foxsat doesn't even do this, it pops up a message saying somthing like 'TSR playback will terminate and recording will start from current time' what ever that's supposed to mean. I'd like to update to the later Freesat box alas I can't afford it ! 

Every freeview/freesat PVR manufactured by Humax, certainly from the 9200 onwards can record from the buffer.

Live tv (buffer) is recorded to a partition on the HDD named .tsr (time shift recording)

The buffer contents can be transferred to a recording by simply pressing the rec button, the current programme and buffer contents will be saved to the HDD.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 533 of 1,295

Go to solution

@Jim-lad wrote:

SRPSRP writes --- My Humax Foxsat doesn't even do this, it pops up a message saying somthing like 'TSR playback will terminate and recording will start from current time' what ever that's supposed to mean. I'd like to update to the later Freesat box alas I can't afford it ! 

Every freeview/freesat PVR manufactured by Humax, certainly from the 9200 onwards can record from the buffer.

Live tv (buffer) is recorded to a partition on the HDD named .tsr (time shift recording)

The buffer contents can be transferred to a recording by simply pressing the rec button, the current programme and buffer contents will be saved to the HDD.

Mine is from 2009, and I have never managed to record a whole programme I started watching in 'TSR'

I did notice the new update has  a big arrow in the mini guide, but clearly it's been made too big and does not convey it's meaning properly. It clearly confused at least two people ( me and the other poster who bought up the issue)

It's more evidence of amaturish design IMHO, same as the modal confirmation dialogue when you delete recordings. This has been slavishly copied from Windows, where it was used to prevent mal ware from presenting Windows like dialogue boxes, ie totally inapropraite and looks dreadful on a 42" plasma, let alone a 55" OLED UHD TV I suspect.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DaveGrohl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 534 of 1,295

Go to solution
Jimlad, that's not the banner I'm referring to, I'm talking about the banner that appears whenever you use the pause function etc whether in live tv or a recording or change channels or whatever.

And the close button is what you need to press to get rid of the banner during live tv watching/pausing taher than the back button. As I said, totally inconsistent.
0 Ratings
280E
Message 535 of 1,295

Go to solution

After a week of using the latest 'upgrade' I can honestly say it's pretty - and useless. The previous UI wasn't particularly brilliant, but I find it's now effectively unfit for purpose.

This isn't just an 'oooh, I don't like change' bleat - I have worked with 'cutting edge technology' all my working life, and have seen countless examples of software interfaces - good and bad - but this one is right down there at the bottom. It smacks of the wonderful success that was Windows 8 - all touchy-feely 'tiles', giving up clarity and space-efficiency for unnecessary visual 'candy'.

Last night I fired up my trusty old Topfield TF5800, to find a UI devoid of all Fisher-Price friendliness - what joy!

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 536 of 1,295

Go to solution

@DaveGrohl wrote:
Jimlad, that's not the banner I'm referring to, I'm talking about the banner that appears whenever you use the pause function etc whether in live tv or a recording or change channels or whatever.

And the close button is what you need to press to get rid of the banner during live tv watching/pausing taher than the back button. As I said, totally inconsistent.

I'll have to check this tomorrow but I seem to remember when I have paused live TV the banner disappears anyhow after a set number of seconds.  I could be wrong but I will check it. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 537 of 1,295

Go to solution

@280E wrote:

After a week of using the latest 'upgrade' I can honestly say it's pretty - and useless. The previous UI wasn't particularly brilliant, but I find it's now effectively unfit for purpose.

This isn't just an 'oooh, I don't like change' bleat - I have worked with 'cutting edge technology' all my working life, and have seen countless examples of software interfaces - good and bad - but this one is right down there at the bottom. It smacks of the wonderful success that was Windows 8 - all touchy-feely 'tiles', giving up clarity and space-efficiency for unnecessary visual 'candy'.

Last night I fired up my trusty old Topfield TF5800, to find a UI devoid of all Fisher-Price friendliness - what joy!

Problem is that all the providers are going the same way, SkyQ Virgin etc.  They seem to think they have to ape Netflix which is where all this started.  I do think there should be a list option as well as tiles in order to provide the end user with 'choice'. 

0 Ratings
mummylomax
Message 538 of 1,295

Go to solution

Im not liking this new upgrade. If you have a few recordings on one programme you have to scroll through threm all until you come to the one that you want to watch and then when press stop it takes you back to the home screen? Not liking this at all.

@SeanD wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am delighted to let you know that a new software version has become available to BT TV customers with Youview boxes.   This will be the first time customers will be able to experience our new BT TV, including the brand new BT Player.

Starting with Z4 boxes the roll out will commence tonight, Z4 box customers will receive an email with a link to the information page which can be viewed here, Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience.

The software will be rolled out to other box types over the coming months. Customers will all receive notifications about the update.  

The software variant will be : 27.44.0

Cheers

Sean

**Edit**Update 16/03/2017**Edit**

Good news everyone, the new BT TV experience, including the brand new BT Player, is starting to roll out to customers with G4 or G5 boxes.

The roll out will commence tonight.  

The software variant will be : 27.46.0

We've worked hard to make sure that this software is ready for you - most recently we've been working on making the box faster and more stable. It doesn't end there though, so keep an eye out for new updates which will come after launch based on customer feedback.

0 Ratings
Annathy48
Beginner
Message 539 of 1,295

Where has "disvover" gone?

Go to solution
Anyone know whether or not we can still browse chanels via "discover", like we could before updates? Can only find iplayers now which arnt as good for browsing (in my opinion). Help 🙂
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 540 of 1,295

Re: Where has "disvover" gone?

Go to solution

'Discover' has gone, at least for now. I believe its in the planning for further updates once the roll out is complete to all boxes. The roll out is scheduled to finish by the end of June so we'll have to wait until after that to see what the plans are for the next phase of updates, if indeed they do come.

0 Ratings