Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Annathy48
Beginner
Message 541 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Go to solution
Thank you for responding. I will stop searching for Discover now! I wonder if BT are still charging me £5 for that facility though? They certainly shouldnt be as the iplayers are no where near as good (in my opinion). I will see what happens in June the
Thanks again for exaining 🙂
0 Ratings
taylorwj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 542 of 1,295

Re: Fast Forward/Backward just jumps by 1 minute

Go to solution

Feature  to be able to jump to a specific time  not available in new Sofware

0 Ratings
jonnyd3x3
Message 543 of 1,295

Starting a programme from a certain minute

Go to solution
Since my YouView box updated last month I don't seem to be able to start a recorded programme from a certain point. I.e. If I record boxing I used to skip all the pre-fight and just enter a start point of, say, 2 hours. Since the update (which I generally like bytheway!) I have to start the programme from the beginning and then skip through 1 minute at a time which although not unbearable, would be a lot easier if I could do what I used to and choose a starting point. Does anybody know if there is still a way of starting a programme at a certain point?
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 544 of 1,295

Re: Starting a programme from a certain minute

Go to solution

Afraid not @jonnyd3x3. One of the several omissions since the Next Gen software came along.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DaveGrohl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 545 of 1,295

Go to solution
Yes Jimlad, it's a whole five seconds now. That's what I've been saying. It used to be about two. Perfectly adequate.
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 546 of 1,295

Some reading from Youview's perspective

Go to solution

I'm copying the text from this article *Edited** which I came upon here https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-revamps for your perusal:

Pay-TV service YouView is introducing measures to cut the amount of time it takes viewers to find their favourite shows.

The platform, which is owned by the terrestrial broadcasters along with TalkTalk and BT, is midway through switching its 2.5 million homes to a new user interface that is designed to help consumers access programming more easily.

“There are very few things that we can do to make people watch more TV,” said YouView commercial projects director Simon Cook.

“It’s about reducing the amount of time they spend looking for something to watch, and ultimately helping them to spend less time with the menu system.”

One proposed measure is to expand channel recommendations on the homepage to include digital channels as well as the flagship terrestrial channels.

“We will test whether there is any point in promoting BBC1 at 3pm if we know that households tend to watch CBeebies at that time,” Cook explained.

Similarly, it may find that it is better to push the HD rather than SD versions of channels. It may also look to use editorial judgements to select shows to highlight in place of an algorithmic approach.

The measures have been sparked by the company’s new HTML 5-based cloud platform, which enables it to harvest comprehensive data about the way viewers are using its service and quickly make changes across its households.

Cook said that initial findings had revealed that more recordings were set on a Monday evening than at any other point in the week.

“Accordingly, it might make sense for a broadcaster to promote its forthcoming shows on a Monday,” he said.

“As well as evolving the service, we are looking to provide long-term value to our shareholders.” YouView is also considering swapping the search ‘magnifying glass’ with the word ‘search’ to see if it encourages more useage.

However, the service is unlikely to offer households an individually tailored experience.

While YouView did previously collect data, the update has enabled it to track every keystroke on every remote control on an anonymised basis.

It will introduce the measures across the platform in the coming months – showing different homes different experiences and measuring their effectiveness before choosing which version to launch to its entire base.

The new interface started to roll out in November in TalkTalk homes and is expected to be made available in all BT homes by the end of April.

Make of it all what you may but for now I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 547 of 1,295

Re: Some reading from Youview's perspective

Go to solution

Evidence that marketing dweebs and managers who probably  don't even watch TV have had their paws all over this. We must copy netflix, we must copy netflix...

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 548 of 1,295

Re: Some reading from Youview's perspective

Go to solution

It would certainly explain the rush to get out half baked software. I think those who pointed out that moving to cloud based software and removing our right to opt out of marketing was all about advertising and watching our every move on Youview have been vindicated by Youviews announcement. It was never about improving the user experience, something which is evident by the many removed features.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 549 of 1,295

Re: Program Information now useless

Go to solution
The series and episode numbers are actually still there, they are styled to look like the titles. I thought they'd gone too.
0 Ratings
TheWorldIsYours
Contributor
Message 550 of 1,295

Go to solution

Awful update, my main gripes are the recordings being transformed into a mess of tiles which dont link the same programme if they are recorded on different channels, eg same series recorded on channel 4 or 4+1.

Other gripe is the loss of the automated facility to provide an alternative showing of a programme if you are trying to record it at the same time as 2 other channels as per the previous ui.

Is anyone taking notice of these recomendations to be included in future updates?

0 Ratings