My TV needs are simple. I watch programmes I have recorded and I browse Catch Up using the categories on the Discover tab to see what is interesting. Or at least I did until yesterday. Now my nice list of recorded programmes has turned into a jumble of images and half complete captions and I can find no way of browsing the catch up material without already knowing what I am looking for. A very long and frustrating 'chat' with an 'advisor' established that it is not possible to have a list rather than a jigsaw puzzle and that he did not know the difference between 'browse' and 'search'. Apparently BT doesn't either. So my questions are - is there a way of browsing in categories as before? Why would such a fundamental function just disappear? And am I the only person who is angry and frustrated by this upgrade?
I have stayed loyal to BT for 40 years but this evening I have been checking out the alternatives.
It's only a small minority that don't like the new update.
I think on reality it might be the other way round.
Really? I'm not so sure. It is a well known fact people complain on forums on whatever subject, and very few visit forums to do the opposite. I would think there are many, mainly lite users I suspect, who have the update and are relatively happy. You have to realise the majority will use the box just for timeshifting, and accessing i-player etc., and are not fussed about what the box is actually capable of doing.
I think that whether you like it or not depends on which functions you use regularly. After over a weeks use I can manage with the tiles although I would prefer lists but it is the features which are either missing or less easy to use which still annoy me.
For me the biggest bugbears are:
1. The more difficult delete procedure and the likelihood of deleting wrong item. I just found a further problem last night when I had selected a program to delete when another program started to record which moved all the tiles along but my selection stayed in the same space on the screen instead of following the recording I had se3lected - so I now had a different recording selected and if I had not noticed and pressed delete the confirmation screen does not show which recording is to be deleted!
2. I read elsewhere that when trying to record more than two programs scheduled at the same time, the old software would automatically find another time slot for you but no longer. I have not tried this yet though.
3. The ability to quickly and easily move the play-point in a recording is no longer available. This was a function which I used frequently
4. Items missing from Settings: The ability to set the time for the step forward and step back buttons. There may well be others which I haven't noticed yet. It really is wrong to have not allowed access to all the settings.
5. The start and end time of each program is no longer shown in the EPG so you have to use the 'i' button to find this information.
This update is a classic example of Hutber's Law : Improvement means deteriation.
That's it. I can cope with a change in presentation, irritating though it is , but why remove something completely with no warning or explanation?
Hi all. Am I missing something? Since the upgrade, how do you select a time to playback your recordings from? I regularly want to skip to a time in the recordings and can't find how now?