Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1031 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Go to solution
Are you suggesting that it becomes acceptable if "people at least live with it"? I don't agree. Software with obvious flaws which are simple to correct should be corrected.

As far as I'm concerned, BT is my supplier so BT takes the blame. It's up to them to find a new supplier if necessary.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1032 of 1,295

Go to solution

I'm not saying it's "acceptable". I'm only stating that many who complained initially are now prepared to wait for the imrovements which ARE coming.

A visit to the Sky forums would seem to suggest that Sky Q is even more riddled with bugs than some other platforms.

Unfortunately nowadays as each company tries to outdo the other they are rushing out half-cocked software to try and stay ahead.

As for another supplier, the only alternative BT would have would be Freeview Play, and it is probably the most bug riddled piece of software of them all, again going by feedback across the Net.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1033 of 1,295

Go to solution
Fair comment Rob but it is still down to BT to demand better from their suppliers just as we are demanding from BT. I speak from personal experience how much clout BT have.

By the way, I wouldn't touch Sky with a barge pole. There are better alternatives for me.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1034 of 1,295

Go to solution

BT are the company supplying the YouView box and the company which also chose to push this shoddy software out to their customers.

And BT are also the company who seem unwilling to listen to customers issues with the platform and are happy for them to leave.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1035 of 1,295

Go to solution

From what I have gleaned elsewhere you are quite correct to say that BT do have considerable clout as they are able to hold back on updates etc as they see fit. I also know that the folks at Youview can be very stubborn and resistant to requested changes and implementations.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1036 of 1,295

Go to solution

Yes Madrob I wouldn't touch Sky Q just yet.  I bought an HD box (yes you can still buy them, just not from Sky) and while even they do have their bugs they (unlike BT Youview) have a decent catch up TV system to restore missed episodes.  

If the BT Youview improvements are as you say coming then what's so hard about BT/Youview making a statement about what and when expected?  Nothing other than their arrogance

Some say that Sky is overpriced but if you take the Sports etc then it is very comparable with BT TV especially when the latter is hosted on what was always a 2nd class platform which is now 3rd class due to the deleted key functions.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1037 of 1,295

Go to solution

If the BT Youview improvements are as you say coming then what's so hard about BT/Youview making a statement about what and when expected?  

BT will, like any provider, wait until testing is complete, then announce software upgrades and their contents when they are ready to be rolled out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1038 of 1,295

Go to solution

@MadRob wrote:

Absolutely @Jim-lad. I think too many people believe BT are solely to blame for this. Yes, they do have some input to what they include, and the timings of the software updates specific to them, but it is Youview software, written by and provided by Youview.

The improvements to BT boxes have been slow but they are improvements, especially in the area of the recordings screens. It grows on you, and after all the fall-out in the early days, I think a lot of people are also growing to at least live with it.

BT TV is still excellent value for money, and to go and pay Sky's over-inflated prices because of Next Gen is to me a bit over the top.

Another reason for complaints and this apertains to just about anything new in most walks of life - people simply hate change.  Whilst many of us moan about change, we do adapt.  However, there is a certain percentage of people that just cannot cope with change at all.  

They are the ones that will often throw their toys out of the pram and cut off their noses to spite their face.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1039 of 1,295

Go to solution

@Stevek1311 wrote:

Yes Madrob I wouldn't touch Sky Q just yet.  I bought an HD box (yes you can still buy them, just not from Sky) and while even they do have their bugs they (unlike BT Youview) have a decent catch up TV system to restore missed episodes.  

If the BT Youview improvements are as you say coming then what's so hard about BT/Youview making a statement about what and when expected?  Nothing other than their arrogance

Some say that Sky is overpriced but if you take the Sports etc then it is very comparable with BT TV especially when the latter is hosted on what was always a 2nd class platform which is now 3rd class due to the deleted key functions.  

It seems to me you've gone to the trouble of registering on the forum simply to have a rant about the new software and to tell everyone you're off to Sky.  You've made up your mind, bought a sky box, end of discussion. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1040 of 1,295

Go to solution

I've had Sky for 25 years Jim.  I didn't realise having Sky precluded me from having an opinion on the Youview Box that (with its predecessor BT Vision) I have used for many years too and was sourcing about half of the recorded programmes I watched.  

(Well in some people's minds apparently I'm precluded)

Why are you apparently happy to have a PVR that may have a flash user interface but is very much 2nd rate in terms of functionality and why are you happy to have that functionality degraded without your consent, apology from BT or any promise of rectification?

0 Ratings