Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1051 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Go to solution

@Stevek1311 wrote:

Except Jim-Lad Sky don't remove functions on boxes already in customers use do they, in fact they continually add functionality to them

See if you can tell the forum a function that's been removed from Sky HD boxes

I haven't been a $ky customer for the last five years as I got sick to death of lining Murdoch's pockets paying for a load of channels we never watched.

However, one of my abiding memories of Sky was their very buggie UI feature updates, which in many cases still hadn't been resolved 12 months after implementation.  $ky were very good at giving customers features they never asked for and which many didn't want.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1052 of 1,295

Go to solution

So I think we now know where you are coming from - the Anything but Murdoch camp

But surely this forum should be about objective discussion of the issues using facts.  And a fact is that despite your allegation ,when pressed you could not name a single function removed from installed Sky boxes.  So it was a false allegation wasn't it?

***EDITED***

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1053 of 1,295

Go to solution
This must take the price for the most ridiculous, and inappropriatel, post on this topic yet.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1054 of 1,295

Go to solution

I'm sure a mod will come along later to remind you gentlemen that this forum is about BT TV, not Sky. I was also once a Sky customer but left due to prices staying the same for packs where channels were appearing FTA to be made available to Freesat, and the realisation that I was using those channels more than Sky's own. Everyone has an opinion on the good and bad of Sky etc but as these forums are about BT only then maybe this small argument should be taken elsewhere. I'm neither anti or pro Sky or BT regardless of my experiences. I just subscribe to the service which I feel delivers what our household requires.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1055 of 1,295

Go to solution

But the point is to assess BT TV via the Youview Box it has to be compared to reference points.  And there are two main reference points

a) the functionality before this 27.50 update.  And we know that much used functions were removed by that update from boxes already in customer use.  Not good

b) the functionality of the rest of the PVR market.  Inevitably that is dominated by Sky and TiVo.  And YouView is v poor in comparison

Unfortunately some people seek to present a false adverse assessment of the rest of the market in order to make 27.50 YouView look good.  So if a "mod comes along" that would be most welcome as surely their responsibilites include preventing the forum being used to commit product libel.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 1056 of 1,295

Go to solution

Hi guys,

Can you keep things friendly and on topic please?  Remember, the community is to discuss BT's services and this particular thread relates to the recent Youview update.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 1057 of 1,295

Go to solution

@Stevek1311

On point b) if you look at the comparison (What HiFi listed below but others are available) you will find the BT YouView box with Next Gen software beats Virgins new TIVO service.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/bt-tv-g5-vs-sky-q-vs-virgin-tv-v6-which-best-4k-tv-service

So working on that TIVO is decidely worse than BT's new interface and box

Also on your point about new interfaces - SKY Q which is now SKY's default has removed Favorites lists, jump to time, etc in its new software and also brought in multiple issues (the sound dropout being the most annoying that I suffer from).

Also SKY's interface took 3 years to build and bring to market where as YouView's took 18 months. YouView's still has some catching up to do and arguably should have been done before being dropped on users but then again some people would rather have a new interface and watch the improvements happen so you will always have some unhappy people.

I am not totally defending YouView as I think there are some glaring omissions from the software that need fixing ASAP but I also want to slightly level the playing field showing that no-one actually has a fault free platform at the minute.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1058 of 1,295

Go to solution

Interesting that Sky has dumped Favourites and YouView has dumped Hide Channels.  Could it be that the TV companies providing the channels have pressured/bribed the box suppliers to ensure we have to see all the channels all the time rather than blanking those in which we are not interested?  Some collusion here maybe.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1059 of 1,295

Go to solution

@scointer wrote:

@Stevek1311

On point b) if you look at the comparison (What HiFi listed below but others are available) you will find the BT YouView box with Next Gen software beats Virgins new TIVO service.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/bt-tv-g5-vs-sky-q-vs-virgin-tv-v6-which-best-4k-tv-service

So working on that TIVO is decidely worse than BT's new interface and box

Also on your point about new interfaces - SKY Q which is now SKY's default has removed Favorites lists, jump to time, etc in its new software and also brought in multiple issues (the sound dropout being the most annoying that I suffer from).

Also SKY's interface took 3 years to build and bring to market where as YouView's took 18 months. YouView's still has some catching up to do and arguably should have been done before being dropped on users but then again some people would rather have a new interface and watch the improvements happen so you will always have some unhappy people.

I am not totally defending YouView as I think there are some glaring omissions from the software that need fixing ASAP but I also want to slightly level the playing field showing that no-one actually has a fault free platform at the minute.

Interesting link thanks

There is no doubt that Sky-Q has issues but one thing they did not do is force it on existing customers as YouView have with 27.50 and that article is very clear that the BT G5 is poor in comparison with the Sky reference point

As for TiVo then my experience base is far from their latest box.  My TiVo is the original UK one c 2000 and it still has a better user interface than Sky or Youview.  But then TiVo patented many features and I suspect some rivals baulk at eithe rpaying them or taking the legal risk.  I would be surprised in the Virgin TiVo is worse but I have never been able to use one (no cable here)

(BTW Sky have committed to restore Favourites but it's a rarely used function)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 1060 of 1,295

Go to solution

BTW YouView has commited to restoring most of its functionality

Everybody's view is personal, i know a lot of people with the old Virgin TIVO and they said they have all moved away from it as it was slow and dated and much prefer YouView interface (even the new one with its missing functionality).

0 Ratings