Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1061 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Go to solution

I have a BT and a retail Youview box - the retail one was updated to the very latest software while  I was on holiday in June. Now it regualrly freezes when watching iPlayer: video and sound stops but subtitles continue - it has not lost internet conection.  I have to restart the programme.

Anyone else had this - and will this feature also be available when the BT box updates?  It provides a useful way of giving up on a boring programme.

Geoff

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1062 of 1,295

Go to solution

@Stevek1311 wrote:

So I think we now know where you are coming from - the Anything but Murdoch camp

But surely this forum should be about objective discussion of the issues using facts.  And a fact is that despite your allegation ,when pressed you could not name a single function removed from installed Sky boxes.  So it was a false allegation wasn't it?

What next, Sky boxes kill babies?

I don't remember ever saying that $ky DID remove features/function.  That was simply something you dreamt up as a counter-argument.  My message was simple - Sky Virgin et-al have all delivered 'howlers' in their time when it comes to UI updates.  You only have to trawl the $ky Q forums to see that for yourself.

We get you're a fan of $ky which is why you have purchased a $ky box.  What I fail to understand is why you're still carping about Youview now you're off to a land of milk and honey?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1063 of 1,295

Go to solution

@Jim-lad wrote:

@Stevek1311 wrote:

So I think we now know where you are coming from - the Anything but Murdoch camp

But surely this forum should be about objective discussion of the issues using facts.  And a fact is that despite your allegation ,when pressed you could not name a single function removed from installed Sky boxes.  So it was a false allegation wasn't it?

What next, Sky boxes kill babies?

I don't remember ever saying that $ky DID remove features/function.  That was simply something you dreamt up as a counter-argument.  My message was simple - Sky Virgin et-al have all delivered 'howlers' in their time when it comes to UI updates.  You only have to trawl the $ky Q forums to see that for yourself.

We get you're a fan of $ky which is why you have purchased a $ky box.  What I fail to understand is why you're still carping about Youview now you're off to a land of milk and honey?

You've missed the points badly

1. I have had Sky and BT (Vision now Youview) for decades.  I did use both but the 27.50 change means I will now rarely use the Youview box.  I was contemplating buying more services via the Youview box but instead last week bought a Sky HD box and run 2 Sky boxes,a Youview box and (mainly for sentimental reasons) an old TiVo is still running.

It would help if you would stop making false allegations about me and now you have the full facts you have no posssible excuse

2. You continue to pst as if Sky-Q has been forced on customers.  It has not and some customers have of their own free will taken the decision to be .0 or .0.1 high risk adopters and face issues.  To compare this to the BT/Youview imposition of a badly thought software change involving deltion of key functions onto existing customers is not a fair comparison.

And so the question stands: can you name a change involving functional loss that has been forced on Sky customers?  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1064 of 1,295

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

I have a BT and a retail Youview box - the retail one was updated to the very latest software while  I was on holiday in June. Now it regualrly freezes when watching iPlayer: video and sound stops but subtitles continue - it has not lost internet conection.  I have to restart the programme.

Anyone else had this - and will this feature also be available when the BT box updates?  It provides a useful way of giving up on a boring programme.

Geoff

My Youview box has regularly gone into lock up requiring a power cycle to rescue it.  It seems to be worse when the disk is getting full and it seems to be happening less often with the 27.50 update but it does still happen far far more that with other PVRs I could mention

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1065 of 1,295

Go to solution

My boxes are less than 20% full and this happened only after the update on the retail box.  The BT one, although spoiled by 27.50 is fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1066 of 1,295

Go to solution

Apologies if posters are already aware of this

If you contact Youview direct to comment on the 27.50 'Next Gen' update then they say it is the YouView forum and a specific thread there that they are using to assess feedback.  IE they will be ignoring what is posted here.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software?topic-reply...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1067 of 1,295

Go to solution
I've seen the site before and noted that rollouts start "shortly ". That was 4 months ago.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1068 of 1,295

Go to solution

And Youview emailed me in April to say they would take note of the concerns posted in that thread (which is still active)

And unsurprisingly they have not honoured that promise.  It all reeks of an update badly specifified, poorly designed, only tested for the addition of new functions and retention of the most basic functionality and utter panic followed by denial when BT/YouView realised that there was no budget to fix the result

There is so much potential for an excellent recorder with the BT/Youview box but no one should hold their breath waiting for that.  

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1069 of 1,295

Go to solution

Granted updates are slow but it's better waiting while some of the missing functions are tested first. That does take a bit of time obviously but some of the 'missing' functions will be back.

These pages are monitored by Youview as well as their own as some of the issues are exclusive to retail boxes and some to BT boxes. We must remember that there is more work involved in sorting out BT boxes because of the 'extras' it brings (eg. BT TV etc).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1070 of 1,295

Go to solution

@MadRob wrote:

Granted updates are slow but it's better waiting while some of the missing functions are tested first. That does take a bit of time obviously but some of the 'missing' functions will be back.. . .

I agree that rushing a correction out might make matters worse.  What is needed is someone from BT/Youview saying on one or both of the forums "Yes we recognise that it was a mistake to remove the select start time and view by list functions and we are working with our devlopers to correct this in the next update"

That they don't suggests those issues will never be corrected and existing customers are just seen as fodder

0 Ratings