Message 381 of 1,295

Re: Red button + not working after new update

Go to solution

@Telecom89 wrote:

@Jim-lad wrote:

@Telecom89 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@robert1997 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe  Red button+ working fine here since the update. Choosing text via the BBC radio channels is still the only way I can get to the old style text.

@MrBelter  how true.

I only have a Retail YouView box bought from John Lewis, and have updates blocked for the moment, as my wife, who uses the box, dislikes any changes. She makes a lot of FreeView series recordings, so she would not like the new picture tiles Smiley Sad

I need to block this update for some older relatives until I get a chance to update their box and walk them through the changes as if their box updates they just won't be able to use it as they just about manage with the existing interface. Something BT really haven't thought about.
Have you done this by blocking the relevant sites (listed on the YouView website) via BT 'parental controls' or some other way? Can particular websites be blocked in a HH5? Thanks.

Why do some people perpetuate the view that older people are incompetent technophobes?  My neighbour has a BT Youview box with the latest update - she is 84.  I popped in to see how she was doing generally and she asked me what I thought of the new update.  She got the update last week and reckons it took her no more than 10 minutes to be fully conversant with the changes.  

She likes the new UI and said she thought the old one was looking a bit dated and needed a refresh Smiley Happy   Reading many of the posts in this thread I think some on this forum should take a leaf out of her book regarding 'change' and having a positive outlook. Smiley Wink

Possible because you've never met the people I'm referring to and I have personal experience of how they handle technology!

Or perhaps it's simply the issue that they have never had someone sit down with them who knows how explain the changes in an easy to understand way.  People sometimes need 'change' selling to them in a positive manner.  This isn't as easy a task as you might imagine and shouldn't be undertaken if you haven't the training/experience.  

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 382 of 1,295

Re: New YouView Layout

Go to solution

@robert1997 wrote:

So, now most of us appear to have the update and have had time to get accustomed to it

According to this article on the Connect Award https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/new-look-bt-tv-wins-tv-connect-award-11364170111010 there are very few of us on 'NextGen' - 'Since February, we’ve rolled out the new interface to 250,000 customers and expect to have all 1.6 million on board by the end of May'.

And how many of the 250,000 are posting on this forum would you say?  I was talking about contributors on this forum not the entire user base. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 383 of 1,295

Go to solution

@robert1997 wrote:

Read the feedback on the various related forums arohnd the Web and opinion is divided at best. In fact if you read most of the feedback on this thread on this forum alone then I think you'll find there are slightly more people against it than for it. 

For many its all about looks and for others its about functionality. Unfortunately some things which could improve it and given as feedback during testing of the next series of updates are falling on deaf ears at Youview. 

The problem for any manufacturer of any product on the planet is that people like to whinge.  They whinge when it's too warm, they whinge when it's too cold, too wet, to dry etc. etc. - you get my drift.

It wouldn't matter how good or bad this UI is, some people would still complain - it's part of the human psyche. 

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 384 of 1,295

Go to solution

Pop over to the Youview Community forum. Thats where you'll find the most feedback from BT Youview customers. Theres barely a handful posting regularly here.

By the way, who the heck needs training to talk to older people. They are just like us only older!!!

Anyway guys, my testing of the next phase of NextGen begins today so I won't be posting for a while in case I inadvertently let some of the proposed changes slip out. Many of the complaints are being listened to but of course it remains to be seen what the 'final' release really brings from the Youview tech guys.

Hope you all like the changes if and when they do finally arrive.

And you @Jim-lad are whinging at the very same people you call 'whingers'. Says a lot!!!!

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 385 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Go to solution
The issue arises when Discovery show more than one series linked season of the same show, as the often do.

To be honest I've gotten used to reverting to the Sky app or Wikipedia episode lists since getting BT any way ! It does annoy me though.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 386 of 1,295

Go to solution

@robert1997 wrote:

Pop over to the Youview Community forum. Thats where you'll find the most feedback from BT Youview customers. Theres barely a handful posting regularly here.

By the way, who the heck needs training to talk to older people. They are just like us only older!!!

Anyway guys, my testing of the next phase of NextGen begins today so I won't be posting for a while in case I inadvertently let some of the proposed changes slip out. Many of the complaints are being listened to but of course it remains to be seen what the 'final' release really brings from the Youview tech guys.

Hope you all like the changes if and when they do finally arrive.

And you @Jim-lad are whinging at the very same people you call 'whingers'. Says a lot!!!!

I have been on the forum in question. I now call it 'WhingeView forum. Some pretty irrational posting if you ask me. Re: the reference to older users - I was talking about explaining new technology if they are experiencing problems understanding certain aspects, but I guess you knew that.  In my experience I have found they readily pick up new things and are more than happy to experience change. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 387 of 1,295

Go to solution

connected red button seems to be back functioning for me this evening. Are others still experiencing issues  ( i.e. The old red button) ?

0 Ratings
Dawnrazor_uk
Beginner
Message 388 of 1,295

Go to solution

@zulu17 wrote:

connected red button seems to be back functioning for me this evening. Are others still experiencing issues  ( i.e. The old red button) ?

Nope, red button on mine is still old text - I live in West Yorkshire - dont know if it could be a region specific issue?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 389 of 1,295

Go to solution

@Dawnrazor_uk If you are not recording on in the middle of  watching a  captivating program you could try a soft reset  .. i.e. Hold power button of Youview box for about 8 to 10 seconds and it will reboot.

Then see if the Connected red button returns.

0 Ratings
Dawnrazor_uk
Beginner
Message 390 of 1,295

Go to solution

@zulu17 wrote:

@Dawnrazor_uk If you are not recording on in the middle of  watching a  captivating program you could try a soft reset  .. i.e. Hold power button of Youview box for about 8 to 10 seconds and it will reboot.

Then see if the Connected red button returns.

Yeah, already tried that - quite a few times! Also tried retuning channels and updating players etc.....driving me nuts!

0 Ratings