Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 91 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Go to solution

According to Youview , the trialists (Beta testers) were happy with the changes hence it went ahead.

We were all hoping that BT would hold off much longer so that the serious issues caused by this new UI - I refuse to call it an "upgrade or update" - particularly surronding handling of series recordings , could have been addressed.

But NO , they go ahead and it seems there are unlikely to be any new changes made until the rollout is complete.

From my perspective it's very likely that once my BT TV contract completes in about 6 months time I'll be cancelling it.

Ironically I only stayed with BT broadband after the recent price increase because cancelling BT TV was too expensive, and look what then happened Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 1,295

Go to solution

For those of you interested to see a summary of the feedback about the new software in the YouView forum, there's a good list here:

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-next-gen-first-impressions?topic-reply-list%5Bs...

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 93 of 1,295

Go to solution

I've been following that thread since it 1st appeared.

Finding it hard to believe that the trialists actually recommended these downgrades. IF they did then I think its time Youview/BT/TT enrolled some people who were truly prepared to hard test and be prepared to give critical feedback when necessary. My belief would be that these guys DID give critical feedback but the guys writing the software took a head in the sand approach and wouldn't take the trialist's concerns on board.

I used to test software when I had Sky and they too had a complete disregard for tester's concerns.

Highlighted
Message 94 of 1,295

Go to solution

Reading the FAQ at http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/your-bt-tv-is-about-to-become-faster-smarter-and-better-than-ever-before...

"How do I get the update?
Your box will automatically get the updated overnight, we're updating all customer boxes gradually so don’t worry if you've not got it right away. Remember to leave your box plugged in, on standby and connected to your home hub to get the update."

I keep my box in low powered mode. I assume that means my box will never get the update overnight, as it's not on 'standby'?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 95 of 1,295

Go to solution

@tickedon wrote:

I keep my box in low powered mode. I assume that means my box will never get the update overnight, as it's not on 'standby'?

My understanding from one or two people who have the Youview version is, the box will recieve the update providing it is powered, low, high eco etc. makes no difference. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 96 of 1,295

Go to solution

According to Youview support webpages

"Your box will automatically check for software updates every night. As long as the box is on or in standby and connected to the internet we should be able to keep you up to date..."

A post from a Youview staff member on their community form about 3 weeks ago said

"To answer the queries, the old software will, on the UI starting up*, check whether the box has looked for updates in the last seven days. If not, it will perform a check itself and start downloading any available update, and present you a dialogue at the same time as to whether to accept the update or not. If you say yes, the update will be applied when it finishes downloading. If you say no, the update will stop downloading, the part-downloaded file will be deleted, and the UI will not re-check on startup for another seven days.

This on-UI-startup check and the overnight check are the only ones automatically performed. The overnight one is the only one that automatically applies found updates."

* = For completeness, UI startup is subtly different to bootup - it happens obviously on full boot but also if the box has been in standby for more than 5m and is resumed, and also when you change skin/theme and finally in the rare eventuality that the UI process crashes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 97 of 1,295

Go to solution

As a caring company, what is BT doing to help those less fortunate people who are visually impaired?

The existing software enabled the viewer to set the contrast to a greater viewable level.

With what appears to now be the new, despite BT saying it would "remain exactly the same",  MyView list of recordings, it  will be a grid of photo tiles, with monochrome text programme detail, how is this to be enhanced to make it readable by people whose eyesight requires a bit of help?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 98 of 1,295

Go to solution

@davidb00  I appreciate that you may have some concerns about accessibility. Are you aware of Youview policy

https://www.youview.com/policies/accessibility-policy/

There are several accessibility options that can be set in the Settings menu and of course there is the Zoom facility that can be utilised by using the remote zoom button.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 99 of 1,295

Go to solution

zulu17

Thank you, I understand that youview have policy on accessibility, but my point was that the text on the old software is always in a single colour on a plain background and by adding extra contrast, it is made more easier to see.

Any other background will exacerbate the readability of the text, even with extra contrast, the worst case being white text on a light(snow) background.

The solution would be to provide an option, in settings,  to replace the picture with a plain background and to do a proper job, list the program in a logical order ie lines of scrollable text!Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 100 of 1,295

Go to solution

@davidb00 If you use the option available under SETTINGS > ACCESSIBILITY & LANGUAGE> Appearance  to choose. HIgh contrast  colours to On then see if that makes the text more readable. Remember you can  use the i button to  get fuller information about the  individual recorded program. 

0 Ratings