Highlighted
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 21

Re: Getting Fibre and Tv installed on Monday

Go to solution

@Ectophile wrote:

@Irons wrote:

That's handy to know. I thought BT didn't support the use of powerline adaptors.

I was thinking of paying the extra and going for the BT powerline adaptors.

BT don't support powerline adaptors.  But that doesn't mean they won't work, just that BT doesn't support them.

Very true , but mostly they work without issue. Used Netgear (AV200) & TP-Link (AV600) and they've been faultless.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

I've been using BT powerline adaptors for both BT Vision in the past and BT YV for the last couple of months. 

In fairness, I've never had any issues with them.  The spec of the PLA's that BT provide/sell seems to have kept up to the mark over the years; I think I'm on my fourth pair now.

That said, BT have made a great push in 'covering a house with wi-fi' by selling the kit to do so. Have a look around at whats on offer. There's a suite of PLA's/wi-fi spot kit that should meet your needs. We live in a fairly large house and I've managed to cover it with wi-fi and keep the BTYV working fine Smiley Happy

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Irons
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

I have ordered BT500 Flex Powerline Adapter Kit Twin Pack

So if the engineer can't hard wire the youview box. I will try them.

Thanks for the replies.

0 Ratings
Irons
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

The BT powerline adaptors have worked. Had no problem with them and the picture quality is excellent.

My Parents are well impressed with the youview box and the extra channels. And the added bonus of BT sport.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution
Good to hear of a successful conclusion to the thread.
(We've noticed the better picture quality on the YV box compared to the previous Vision box.)
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
frankg4553
Beginner
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

I've been torn, probably like most people.....powerlines or long broadband RJ11 or RJ45 cat5e/cat6 cable to the hub about 15m away.....anyway I've been using Netgear Powerline 500 (XAVB54010) adapters for about a month and this morning did the BT speed test on them. I disconnected the ethernet cable from the youview+ box and plugged it into my laptop.

The exchange to hub speed was 39.8mb (bt infinity) and hub to youview+ box was 35.7mb.....not much difference at all from what I can see.

I then connected the BT suplied 10m ethernet cable from the hub to my laptop and retested.....hub to laptop was 37.9mb....so from what I can see my powerlines are working very well indeed.....unless I'm missing something?

I'm not having any problem at all with BT Sport and extra HD channels using this set-up.

Any comments welcome.

Frank

0 Ratings
frankg4553
Beginner
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

By the way.....again against the recommended set up ......my powerline adapter from which the ethernet cable runs to the youview+ box is plugged in to a socket which is on a 4m extension cable (with proper power cable). Because of the poor supply of original sockets in the room, when we moved in I ran this extension under the floorboards to reach the TV etc!!

0 Ratings
frankg4553
Beginner
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

I have a question also.....on my powerline adapter there is only one out port and I have two devices that I want to connect to it, the Youview + box and the smart TV. Is it possible to use some kind of 'one ethernet cable in' and 'two or more out' so I can connect both and avoid having to swap the cables over?......maybe another router (which one would work?) or a simple box of some sorts?

Hope you don't mind me asking this in this thread but as it's is a 'sorted' thread I hope I'm not hijacking it?

Many thanks

Frank

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution
What you are talking about is an Unmanaged Ethernet Switch. Another powered box unfortunately but you can buy power line adapters with a switch built in (ie two or more ports) which avoid that problem.
0 Ratings
frankg4553
Beginner
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

Hi Colin

Yes, I know I could get powerlines with 2 out ports but I was just wondering if there was a cheaper option without buying two new powerlines......or I wouldn't mind another router if that works as that would give me 4 or more ports out?

0 Ratings