Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Given up trying to order Sky Sports online

Go to solution

Madness ........... I get to a page where I can select "I want to add sky sports" ..... so I'm feeling good and ......

well "it" takes me through every aspect of what I already have (why? we have already decide I just want to add Sky Sports)

and guess what ..... Sky Sports is never mentioned again!!!!

Tried four times .............. same every time so cancelled each time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
b1gduk
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Given up trying to order Sky Sports online

Go to solution

If you have a multiroom box sky sports is not available.

TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for that "little gem" ..... do you know why or if this bizzare state of affairs is likely to persist for long

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Seems so! 😞

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Most probably Sky wont allow them to

0 Ratings
Milhouse
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@jam2000 wrote:

Most probably Sky wont allow them to

Unlikely. Ofcom's 2011 ruling on the retail of Sky Sports to third parties says they must allow those services to have their channels on multiroom boxes.

Therefore we can only assume there is some reason on BT's side best known to themselves.

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Strange as all the other channels work on Multi room apart from Sky so I would assume its Sky preventing them.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Ofcom's ruling only means sky have to offer the most basic service (only sports 1&2, only in SD and not under multiroom) and sky only allow BT the most basic service....

BTTV on YouView does not come under the 2011 ruling as it did not exist then, the latest order was an interim order as an amendment. A full review is under way and could change everything again (although this will probably take at least a year to complete and even then any changes could roll on under appeal).

0 Ratings
Milhouse
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Folks, the fact of the matter is that the ruling by Ofcom (which the CAT now include BT YouView as part of) says:

"Other retailers will be free to develop their own service enhancements, including offering Multiroom-type services, by using the same underlying wholesale product at no additional cost"

And in the case of Sky Sports HD:

"We have not set a price for high-definition versions of Sky Sports 1 and 2. We have accepted Sky's argument that high-definition services are a relatively recent innovation, and that pricing flexibility will help promote future innovation. We instead require Sky to offer contractual terms for supply of these channels on a fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory basis."

That fact that Sky Sports is available not only to multiroom Virgin Media subsribers, but also all of Sky Sports channels - even the ones not part of the must offer ruling - and the HD spin-offs too - does show that Sky can reach deals with other operators. Even Talk Talk TV have had Sky Sports 1-5 (although in SD) for a long time. 

Anyway, I reckon that the reason for the lack of Sky Sports on multiroom is more likely down to some kind of technical limitation on BT's part as opposed to some kind of Sky conspiracy. 

Don't forget - years ago - BT anounced a deal to add all of the UKTV channels to it's TV operation. Good Food, Home and Eden were promised to join but have not arrived yet. Even BT don't have Watch in HD.

I don't want to be too critical of BT TV, I'm not. I think its a good little service. I've followed the developments of BT Vision/BT TV over the years. A recurring theme seems to be BT making choices in a rush that then hold them back later (the change of Vision boxes, the YouView launch with no linear channels, the issue of DTT viewers without fibre/copper multicast losing BT Sport etc). 

The other thing making me doubt that the absense of Sky Sports multiroom is a problem caused by Sky is that if Sky were being the evil party, BT would be shouting about it. BT would be shouting about it to Ofcom and in the press like that have done on every other issue up to now. But they haven't.

And the absense of a statement from BT as to why no Sky Sports multiroom we can only speculate.

0 Ratings