Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iain2020
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Goodbye Sky

Hi All, 

Yesterday morning I took the plunge and cancelled my account with Sky TV that I have had for 10 years and joined up with BT. My son has recently got into WWE and partly the move was to do with that, and the fact that despite 10 years of service they flat out refused to offer me anything after my existing discounts came to an end. 

Everything is set to be connected on the 17th January and I have already had a text message from Sky to say that the process of moving broadband and talk over to BT. 

I have downloaded the BT App, My BT, BT Wifi, BT Cloud and BT TV app on my phone so all that is ready to go. 

I am connecting to a 4K tv and have got the correct box. I was wondering has anyone got any tips on how to get the best out of my replacement of Sky Q. 

9 REPLIES 9
NigelB72
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Goodbye Sky

BT Player has loads of content. Also if you've got the UHD box, open iPlayer and enable UHD Beta and watch Seven Worlds One Planet in glorious UHD. No real advice other than enjoy the package. Full NowTV is coming soon so if you want Sky One etc , you'll need to buy passes for that but we'll have to wait and see how BT are going to price them as nothing has been announced yet.

Radiant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Depends on what channels you want to see.

If you get a Freesat HDDR box (record, pause, rewind) and use your existing dish to access Freesat, the only cost is the cost of the box, unless such things now come built in to TVs. The box will also give you access to Netflix etc.

Andy005
Expert
Message 4 of 10

Hi @Iain2020 

It really depends on what you used to watch and how you used to use Sky Q. I found the lack of +1 channels on BT a disappointment but I did what @Radiant is suggesting and bought a Freesat box. Yes it's another box and remote, but I now have the option of recording up to 4 channels and have more disk space. I didn't have an aerial which is the main reason why I went for Freesat.

The Youview platform can be a bit buggy on the recording front so always check your scheduled recordings using the app, don't trust the on screen version.

Iain2020
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

@Andy005 @Radiant @NigelB72  

Thanks for the input, because i was on a communal dish I could only record 4 at the same time anyway, and I think there is only one day that we ever recorded 2 programs at the same time. 

I have had a look at the channel selection and there isn't anything that jumps out as being missed as we didn't really watch Sky 1. It was mainly films and movies and the on demand tv series including catchup which I am guessing is available on BT in some form. 

Thanks for the advice about the UHD beta setting and for advice about using the app for the recordings. I will bare in mind the option for freesat. I do have netflix through Sky so I will have to change that over to BT at somepoint.  Do they still offer the 4 screens at a time option?

NigelB72
Expert
Message 6 of 10

@Iain2020  The Youview box used to have a glitch that would allow you to stack multiple recordings as long as you weren't using more than two tuners and the channels were on the same multiplex. My personal best was 8 recordings while playing back a previous recording.  This technical loophole was closed with a software update though. Now you are limited to two recordings while watching a third live channel or recording. 

ney
Expert
Message 7 of 10

I love the BT Youview boxes and they have improved over the last few years but there is still room for some little improvement.

I was finding BT TV to be far cheaper than Sky or Virgin. Even with a few less channels but since the last two price increses. I know find its only a few pounds cheaper than having the basic Sky/Virgin TV package.

I also use Netflix and Amazon Prime that includes Prime Video but not though BT account.

I also like how the Netflix/Amazon Prime Video apps is on the BT Youview boxes.

I hopping Disney+ will be added to BT Youview later this year. As I thinking of adding Disney+ when it comes out.

Darren

NigelB72
Expert
Message 8 of 10

@ney you should keep an eye on your emails for price increases because I'm paying less now than when I joined. I always get an offer by email which either keeps the price the same for more or less. I'm on Ultimate TV at the mo for £18 a month... I dip in and out of sky sports via NowTV depending on offers but my ceiling is £20 per month with the HD Max bolt on because other than the football, I find sky sports to be awful value for money and not really bothered about anything on Sky One or Atlantic

ney
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Will try and keep an eye out in my emails. Im on the entertainment max HD package and I paying at lest £4 more then you are @NigelB72 Not sure if this is an old BT TV package that I still on or not but it includes HD as part of the monthly price and the full BT Sports channels. Even though I only seem to watch BT Sport now and again.

I have no need for the 4K offering from BT the now as I happy with my two Samsung full HD smart TVs that are now over 4 and 5 years old.

Im sure my 18 months contract for all my BT packages is not due for renewal till near the end of April or the start of May and never got offered much of a discount last time on my BT packages.

Darren

0 Ratings
FC12
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Hoping we see Apple TV + coming to BT TV soon too!

0 Ratings