Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Google Wifi and BT TV

Hi,

I have recently moved over from Sky to BT TV and I'm experiencing some issues with my existing home setup. 

My setup is as follows

BT Router (Wifi and DHCP disabled) -> Google Wifi -> Network Switch (Managed) -> BT TV YouView box

The BT TV box works for all the apps but not the subscription channels you access through the TV Guide, when I try to access them it says there is an issue with the broadband. If I plug the BT TV directly to the router (or even through the network switch with the Google Wifi unplugged) it works however I then get DHCP errors on my Google Wifi system.

I've heard talk through my research about multicast issues etc. but I have no idea what this is. I think I'm relatively tech savvy but by no means a network or IT expert and this driving me to distraction! Is someone able to advise if there is even a solution out there to sort this or do I need to come up with an entirely different solution (or go back to Sky for TV so I'm not reliant on broadband for telly).

Any help you may be able to offer would be really well received.

Thanks

Andyjs80

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Google Wifi and BT TV

Multicast is the protocol used by BT TV to deliver your channels, if this is blocked or disabled on your network then you will get no channels.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks Victor,

In short, if I get Google WiFi* (or alternative mesh system) to support multicast all my problems will go away?!

*I realise this may be impossible.

Thanks again

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

As long as there is no other problem on the network enabling Multicast should resolve the problem. Note that Multicast is also commonly known as IGMP Multicast or IGMP for short, so if you can find a setting to enable IGMP then that is the same as enabling Multicast

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks again Victor!

So, it turns out that Google Wifi does support multicast so not sure what is up. The only option that is selectable is whether or not to enable IPv6 or not!

The search for a solution continues. Thanks for your help.

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Do you get an error message such as IPC-6023?

I take it you're using the Google DHCP server?

You stated earlier that the DHCP on the BT router was off but that the BT Box works when connected to it, this suggests that the IP address on the TV box may have been statically set as the hub cannot assign one when DHCP is off.

BT hubs tend to use a gateway address 192.168.1.254 whereas Google wifi uses 192.168.86.0, so when connected to your Google WiFi, the box will require an ip address in the range of 192.168.86.xxx .

Make sure your TV box is set to acquire it's IP address by DHCP and check that it is within the correct range for the DHCP server it is connected to 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Sorry, I should have added that when I directly connect the BT TV box to the router I enable DHCP as it wasn't working otherwise.

When connected the way I said in my original post I get the exact error message you said - IPC-6023

The IP Address is 192.168.86.XX as you said too.

Not sure how to make sure the TV box acquires its IP address by DHCP though. When I go into settings there isn't an option for that.

Thanks again

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

How you Select DHCP can vary, sometimes it's called Automatic or Static, sometimes it's called Advanced etc etc, DHCP is usually the default and from what you said in your last post it sounds as if there's no problem there anyway.

It was no coincidence that I mentioned IPC-6023, as a search on this forum will reveal, it's a very common error which I believe BT are investigating.

Search for IPC-6023 and IPC6023 from the search bar above, you should find lots of posts on the subject.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

So in the end we (BT Technical help) couldn't get this to work but BT were great and have offered me their equivalent service to Google which has arrived and is working great.  Good service all round.

0 Ratings