cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeilJonesOnline
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Google Wifi with BT TV

I've just taken delivery of Google Wifi to hopefully replace my failing Apple router (for now I've given up with my BT Smart Hub, but that's another story).

Unfortunately, I can't get the Google Wifi working with the BT IPTV channels or catch-up services, I'm presuming because the Google Wifi doesn't support multicast/IGMP snooping and I can't find any option on the router settings to enable it (the settings options are very limited).

I know these have only just been released in the UK so not many people might have tried, but it would be good to know if anyone had managed to get Google Wifi working with BT TV or whether I'm going to have to return them.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Google Wifi with BT TV

As Google WiFi uses a wireless link between the units, its unlikely to support multicast.

You would have to connect the YouView box directly using a cable, or broadband extenders, to the home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
CymroJohn
Message 3 of 9

Have you had any joy getting this to work yet?

I have been considering getting Google Wifi to use in conjunction with an Openreach modem to replace my HH5. In my current setup I have my YouView box connected to my HH5 via BT Powerline adapters. I was hoping to be able to place a Google Wifi unit in the same location as my HH5 and connected it to my Powerline adapter so the YouView box setup could remain the same.

So out of the box, ethernet out from a Google Wifi unit straight into the YouView box won't work?

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

@CymroJohn wrote:

Have you had any joy getting this to work yet?

I have been considering getting Google Wifi to use in conjunction with an Openreach modem to replace my HH5. In my current setup I have my YouView box connected to my HH5 via BT Powerline adapters. I was hoping to be able to place a Google Wifi unit in the same location as my HH5 and connected it to my Powerline adapter so the YouView box setup could remain the same.

So out of the box, ethernet out from a Google Wifi unit straight into the YouView box won't work?

Why don't you plug Google WiFi into the HH5? Disable DHCP server and wifi in the HH5 and let the Google WiFi do DHCP.

0 Ratings
CymroJohn
Message 5 of 9

If I disabled DHCP on the HH5 then an ethernet connection into it for my YouView box wouldn't work right? I'd need to connect the YouView box by ethernet (via PowerLine) to the Google Wifi? I tried an equivalent setup with an Apple Time Capsule and it didn't work because the Time Capsule doesn't support multicasting. My HH5 is proving to be very unreliable and I have an Openreach modem in the house that seems to be in good working order. That's why I had the Openreach modem - Google WiFi approach in mind.

0 Ratings
NeilJonesOnline
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Well still no progress for me - Google have confirmed that Google wifi doesn't support multicast/IGMP snooping.  They've asked a few questions about what errors I get "to try an help me resolve the issue", but I think this is just them not being familiar with BT TV and not knowing that it does actually need this functionality to work properly.

I'll be sending my Google wifi back for now, maybe I'll look at repurchasing it in the future if its starts to support this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

I would be surprised if any mesh network would support multicast, owing to the large overhead it would entail.

Multicast needs a continuous error free data stream, as there is no end to end error correction.

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

@CymroJohn wrote:

If I disabled DHCP on the HH5 then an ethernet connection into it for my YouView box wouldn't work right?

It should be OK as Google wifi is now the DHCP server and should give an IP address to your YouView box.

Just be aware Google uses 192.168.85.x range. You may need to change the HH IP to be in that range.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 9 of 9

Won't BT replace the HH if it's faulty ?
0 Ratings