cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
revans1965
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

HD Channels Missing

Just received a new BT TV Box and there are no HD channels available except for BT Sport. This box replaces one I received only a couple of months ago which was ok for a while and I then started having issues with standard and HD channels. I have followed all the fault fixing guides (retune, reset to factory settings etc.) with no result. Digital TV in another room has all HD channels.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: HD Channels Missing

Obviously BT Sport is supplied over the internet so irrelevant to this problem.

Generally aerial problems would be the cause of missing HD channels, either because the aerial is poorly aligned or you've tuned to the wrong region.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

I should have also asked does the TV that the box is connected to receive the HD channels?

0 Ratings
revans1965
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

The aerial is fine as there is another TV in the house working fine off it. It is digital and has HD channels.

The TV on the YouView box has all channels except BBC1/2/4HD, ITV HD, Ch4 HD and Ch5 HD.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

On your normal (SD) channels what sort of signal strength & quality do you get on the Youview box?

Also what region do you tune to?

0 Ratings
revans1965
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Strength 30%

Quality 80%

Region Central - Gloucestershire

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

@revans1965wrote:

Strength 30%

Quality 80%

Region Central - Gloucestershire

Well that'll be your problem.

The tuners on the Youview boxes are nowhere near as good/strong etc as those on most TVs.

You need to aim for 100% quality and 90+% on the strength so either you're tuning to the wrong transmitter or your aerial is misaligned or your aerial cables are less than perfect.

Putting your postcode into this website will predict where your aerial should be point at.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

People keep saying Youview boxes tuners are less sensitive than most but that is not my experience. I get rock-solid reception on BBC News HD for example which is on the low powered COM7 MUX whereas on my old Digitalstream PVR, fed from the same aerial, reception of these channels is marginal (my old HD TV does not have a DVB-T2 tuner so cannot compare with that).

0 Ratings
pxr5
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I've not had COM7 stuff on my Youview box for a while now. My TV picks up those channels fine of the same coax input. My signal strength is 100/100, so I bought a little attenuator as I saw this recommended as a fix for BBC News HD etc. The attenuator does work as I can see the quality decrease on other, working channels - but still nothing on COM7. Is there anything else I could try as it is certainly the Youview Box that's the problem here.

0 Ratings
revans1965
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

So back to my problem....

When I plug the coax directly into the TV I get standard and HD channels perfectly. So is the YouView box attenuating the signal?

0 Ratings