Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
voles
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

HD Extra

Go to solution

I have the basic infinity package of TV Entertainment + BT Sport. I was looking at getting the HD channels and it appeared from the web page... 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/348/a_id/46017/?s_intcid=tvhub_L1Smiley Tongueopular_L2:feature46017%...

that if I got the HD Extra 'bolt-on' I would get access to

370 - Comedy Central HD 
  371 - MTV HD 
  373 - Nat Geo HD 
  374 - Nat Geo WILD HD 
  375 - SyFy HD 
  376 - Discovery HD 
  377 - TLC HD 
  378 - Animal Planet HD 
  379 - History HD 
  380 - Crime and Investigation HD 
  381 - AMC HD 
  430 - BT Sport 1 HD 
  432 - BT Sport 2 HD 
  433 - ESPN HD 
  435 - Eurosport 1 HD 
  436 - Eurosport 2 HD

However I only appear to have access to the ones emboldened above, which of course are the channels I already had in SD.

So I infer from this that HD Extra only gives you the channels in HD that you actually subscribe to and I would not get those extra ones without forking out another £10 a month. Is that true?

I seem to have made a stupid mistake in ordering HD extra (especially as I am not bothered about sport) and I would llike any help that can be offered.

Does anyone know if it is possible to painlessly cancel this bolt-on?  Has anyone perhaps made the same mistake as me?

I shall probably ring BT Today but any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 27

Re: HD Extra

Go to solution

All HD channels are included in the HD bolt on. You may be on an old pack which is probably why you're having problems. You need to be on Entertainment Plus to access the full HD bolt on.

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution
If you are on TV Entertainment then you should have access to the SD versions. That's why it's called TV Entertainment, it includes around 20 extra entertainment channels in SD (Eurosport included in this). Adding the HD Extra bolt-on also gives the HD versions of many of those channels.

Note that a few specific entertainment channels require Entertainment Plus, Entertainment Max or Total Entertainment to get them.

Is that definitely the package you are on? BT no longer sell TV Entertainment on new contracts.

The two packages that don't include extra entertainment channels are TV Starter and TV Essentials. Those are now aimed at customers who don't have Infinity.
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution
Note that if you were on TV Starter or TV Essential (a package that doesn't have the word Entertainment in the name) then I would think that the system shouldn't allow you to add the HD Extra bolt-on as you don't have the Extra entertainment channels.

You can normally however add the standalone BT Sport HD bolt-on which costs the same. BT Sport HD comes at no extra cost for those with HD Extra.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

So I think we can assume you are probably on the starter package rather than the Entertainment package. The 'HD bolt on' will only give you access to the HD variants of the SD channels you already have (Sport and AMC on the starter package). Some people are quite happy to pay for just the HD variants of these (hence the ability to order the HD bolt on - or HD sport bolt on).

Otherwise (as you have found out) you need to pay the extra £10 a month for the 'extra' channels to have them upgraded to HD also. The good news is the 'bolt ons' only run on a monthly contract so you should be able to cancel with just 30 days notice.

voles
Contributor
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution
Thanks. You are correct; I am on the 'BT TV Essential' package with AMC and BT Sport. If it is only a monthly contract, I needn't panic about cancelling it I suppose. However I still think that website misleads somewhat.
0 Ratings
voles
Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution
I have recently moved to infinity. I am still on the 'TV essentials' package that I started with on bt tv. Should I be trying to get on to the 'Entertainment Starter' package which apparently includes those missing channels?
0 Ratings
voles
Contributor
Message 8 of 27

Can I move From TVs essentials to entertainment starter?

Go to solution
I have recently moved to infinity. I am still on the 'TV essentials' package that I started with on bt tv. Should I be trying to get on to the 'Entertainment Starter' package which apparently includes those premium channels which I could watch in hd with my hd extra bolt-on? If so, how much more would it cost - presumably less than entertainment plus?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

@voles wrote:
Thanks. You are correct; I am on the 'BT TV Essential' package with AMC and BT Sport. If it is only a monthly contract, I needn't panic about cancelling it I suppose. However I still think that website misleads somewhat.

Does your order actually say for HD Extra?

As I said before I'm surprised if the system lets a TV Essential customer order the HD Extra add-on as they don't have access to the Extra channels (AMC being one oddity that can confusingly be associated with BT Sport).

It should however allow a TV Essential customer with BT Sport to order the BT Sport HD add-on which gives just the BT sports channels (and the confusing AMC) in HD. It still costs £4 and is on a 1 month minimum term. Note however that you must be on Infinity broadband to order any HD add-on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 27

Re: Can I move From TVs essentials to entertainment starter?

Go to solution

@voles wrote:
I have recently moved to infinity. I am still on the 'TV essentials' package that I started with on bt tv. Should I be trying to get on to the 'Entertainment Starter' package which apparently includes those premium channels which I could watch in hd with my hd extra bolt-on? If so, how much more would it cost - presumably less than entertainment plus?

You would have to check with BT, but I think TV Entertainment Starter is normally aimed at new to BT TV customers rather than existing customers. I also don't think TV Entertainment is still offered on new contracts. So you might possibly be looking at TV Entertainment Plus or higher?

Try contacting the Customer Options Team via 0800 800 030 and find out what your package options are now that you are on Infinity. They can also sometimes offer discounts on new 12 month minimum term contracts.

0 Ratings