Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenhill68
Expert
Message 1 of 124

HD Signal Strength and Quality Issue

Go to solution

Hi,

Recently my HD channels on the Youview box have started to freeze, pixelate and break up. Checking the signal quality and strength I have noticed the quality is around 100% and the strength is 92-93%. Then the strength drops to 80, then 70 then both strength and quality drop to 0%.

If I connect my aerial direct to the TV the HD channels on Freeview are fine. BT sent me a new box thinking it was faulty but the new one does exactly the same. The issue can't be the aerial due to the HD channels being ok when directly connected to the TV.

Any ideas please?

0 Ratings
123 REPLIES 123
Niko1
Contributor
Message 2 of 124

Re: HD Signal Strength and Quality Issue

Go to solution
I get issues on 4+1 HD, and whatever other channels are on that transmitter. Can be fine for ages, then go through a period of poor quality. Like you the TV is 10/10 on signal and quality. I don't think the tuners are up to much in the box..
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 3 of 124

Go to solution

Mine does it on all the HD channels and is very often, every few minutes or even seconds. They are unwatchable

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 124

Go to solution

It could be too much signal overloading the YouView box. You could try a 6dB attenuator which you can get from TV shops or online.

Signal overload is quite common if you are near a transmitter, or have an aerial amplifier.

If the signal is too strong, the digital tuners in the YouView box cannot extract the data from the muxes, they are not all the same strength, which is why some channels work, and others do not.

Try a 6dB attenuator in the aerial input to the YouView box.

They are a very simple inline component, with a TV plug and socket, and fit in the lead, where it plugs into the YouView box.

Image1.jpg

You should aim for a signal level of about 70-80% with a signal quality of 100%.

See these posts.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Second-YouView-box-second-Freeview-picture-issue/m-p/16709...

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Picture-breaking-up/m-p/1696786#M32946

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Freeview-HD-Channels-Pixelation/m-p/1699515#M33125

Too much signal can cause odd signal level readings.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 5 of 124

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems a bit daft that the signal can be too strong but I had read this elsewhere.

I do have an amplifier in the loft but not sure why the problem has developed now as I have had the box 16 months.

I have ordered an attenuator like the one in your pic from ebay for £3, hopefully this will sort it out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 124

Go to solution

The YouView boxes are fairly fussy about the signal level, and the problem you are seeing is symptomatic of high signal level, so it worth a try, as you can see from the other threads I linked to.

TV sets are designed to cope with a much larger signal range as they do not have to extract a totally error free data stream, as a low error rate is not noticeable on a TV screen, its only a problem if the error rate is high, and the picture starts to break up.

Its also good for the retailers, as they can show a clean signal in the shops, even in poor signal areas.

PVRs need a data stream with as few errors as possible as the data has to be written to disk.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 7 of 124

Go to solution

Thanks, any reason it would occur now after 15 months?

I looked at the other threads you posted, hopefully will sort my problem too.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 8 of 124

Go to solution

I forgot to say the strength is 100% most of the time and it is the Quality that fluctuates from 90 to 80 to 70 then both drop to zero.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 124

Go to solution

@glenhill68 wrote:

I forgot to say the strength is 100% most of the time and it is the Quality that fluctuates from 90 to 80 to 70 then both drop to zero.

Then too much signal is almost certainly the issue., its overloading the signal processor.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 10 of 124

Go to solution
Thanks for the info.

It sound like the attenuator should do the trick.

Any reason it occurs now after 15 months?
0 Ratings