Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 124

Re: HD Signal Strength and Quality Issue

Go to solution

Probably an increase in transmitter power levels to allow more channels to be carried on each mux.  Since analogue transmissions ceased in October 2012, I think there has been a programme of upgrading transmitters, as more people are expecting HD quality.

You may no longer need your amplifier.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 12 of 124

Go to solution
I tried turning off the amplifier in the loft and got no signal on the youview box or TV that it is still needed. I was surprised I got nothing with it off.

I have an attenuator on order so hoping this will sort the issue.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 124

Go to solution

You would have to physically bypass the amplifier and remove it from the circuit, as un-powered amplifier will not pass any signal.

You would need a short cable to patch the input and output cables together, so the amplifier is no longer in the circuit.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 14 of 124

Go to solution
You're getting technical now lol.

In my loft there is the amplifier that has the aerial connected to from the roof. At the side of the amplifier are 4 aerial connection for the 4 TV sockets in the house. Are you saying I would need to figure out which of the 4 feeds the living room socket and then get some sort of connector that connects this to the aerial socket from the roof?
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 15 of 124

Go to solution
The person I spoke to last night was via the Indian call centre and wasn't particularly helpful and gave me a number to TSG limited who fit aerials. Is there a way of speaking with a UK based person to check about the attenuator.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 124

Go to solution

A distribution amplifier, that is a different situation, and there is no way to bypass it, so an attenuator on the feed to the YouView box is the only alternative.

If had been a single aerial amplifier with an input and output, bypassing it would be feasible.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 17 of 124

Go to solution
Oh right. The make of the amplifier begins with a W.

I assume I fit the attenuator to the aerial socket on my youview box and then the aerial cable to it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 124

Go to solution

@glenhill68 wrote:
The person I spoke to last night was via the Indian call centre and wasn't particularly helpful and gave me a number to TSG limited who fit aerials. Is there a way of speaking with a UK based person to check about the attenuator.

No, you would be wasting your time with the helpdesk. In my past experience, even some aerial fitters are unaware of possible overload issues with DVRs, as most of them simply connect up TVs, which will accept very large signal variations, as they have input circuitry which control the level of signal going into the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) so that the waveform is sampled at the correct point, with as little as possible errors.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 19 of 124

Go to solution
Thanks. Are you fairly confident the attenuator will do the trick and reduce my signal strength from 100%?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 124

Go to solution

Yes, put it directly on the input to the YouView box, as that is the correct place.

On many distribution amplifiers, there are "F" connectors which have a single wire in the middle like this.

fconnector.jpg

They would not fit a normal TV attenuator without adapters.

Its also normal to attenuate signals at the final point of connection, to negate the effect of any noise pickup on the down lead.

0 Ratings