Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 124

Re: HD Signal Strength and Quality Issue

Go to solution

The input marked UHF is normally the aerial input, the other input is for the very old VHF service, that must be a very old amplifier and could be faulty.

The other clue to its age is the connection plugs, new commercial amplifier nearly always use "F" connectors.

All the other leads are outputs, so if the black cable is coming from the aerial, and is connected to an output, then something is wrong, unless that is an input, but it would be labelled as an input. Can you see the labelling?

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 42 of 124

Go to solution

I assume the amplifier is ok as when i connect the aerial direct to the tv all channels are fine.

The sockets down the side are numbered Full, 1-6. The black cable is connected to 1. Should i try fitting the balck cable to the UHF socket at the bottom?#

If they are output how do I get a signal on my tv with the aerial connected to one of them?

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 43 of 124

Go to solution

20170915_214013-1328x747.jpg

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 44 of 124

Go to solution

The 7 connections down the side marked Full, 1-6.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 45 of 124

Go to solution

@glenhill68 wrote:

I assume the amplifier is ok as when i connect the aerial direct to the tv all channels are fine.

The sockets down the side are numbered Full, 1-6. The black cable is connected to 1. Should i try fitting the balck cable to the UHF socket at the bottom?#

If they are output how do I get a signal on my tv with the aerial connected to one of them?

The only thing I would try at this point, would be identify the feed to the YouView box first. Then remove the aerial input and connect it directly to that feed. you will need a female back to back connector to do that, which you can also get from Maplin.

Then remove the attenuator from the YouView box, and see if it still gives trouble.

This is only a temporary measure to prove the fault, as you will lose signal to the other outlets.

So to recap.

Try a different output.

Bypass the amplifier.

Try a variable attenuator.

If all else fails, get a qualified aerial installer to check the amplifier and signal levels.

The fact that the TV is fine on HD channels, still points to a signal lever issue on the YouView box.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 46 of 124

Go to solution

I think I get most of that.

You don't think i should connect the black aerial cable to the UHF connection at the bottom?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 47 of 124

Go to solution

Leave things as they are, regarding the input and output ports, but you could try a different output, but leave the input on "FULL"

I am going back quite a few years now to my days on the Post Office Radio and Television Interference Group Smiley Wink

People used to have a VHF "X" shaped aerial, and the new UHF yagi aerial. These were combined to a diplexer which combined both signals and fed them into an amplifier, hence the "FULL" input (combined VHF and UHF)

Your amplifier is from that age, and had two extra outputs, one marked "UHF" and the other marked "VHF", for those people who only had VHF 405 line TV sets. The amplifier split the signals into the two frequency bands.

So the current configuration is correct, if somewhat ancient Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 48 of 124

Go to solution

Oh i am confused lol.

So the black aerial socket should go into one of the output sockets on the side?

Should one of the sockets in the house be connected to the UHF at the bottom?

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 49 of 124

Go to solution

If I pull out the brown aerial cable from the UHF then I lose the tv signal. Is this the one then that feeds my tv?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 124

Go to solution

@glenhill68 wrote:

Oh i am confused lol.

So the black aerial socket should go into one of the output sockets on the side?

Should one of the sockets in the house be connected to the UHF at the bottom?

Its connected to the "FULL" one at the moment, from what you said. So that is an input on that amplifier, a bit unusual nowadays, but common then, on discrete component construction then, before the days of integrated circuits. It a bit of an antique, and probably not up to spec for digital broadcasts as its intended for analogue tv.

Leave the aerial input at that (FULL) point.

I am off to bed now, but I will look for any updates in the morning.

0 Ratings