Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 81 of 124

Re: HD Signal Strength and Quality Issue

Go to solution

@glenhill68 wrote:
I have removed the black cable socket so connected to nothing and still getting picture. Can I assume this then doesn't go to the outside aerial

It would appear so, all you can do is to remove each lead in turn, and see when the signal goes. If it is on the UHF input, then that would explain why you lost the signal as well, as that would have affected all TVs.

When you identify the aerial input and disconnect it, all TVs will stop working. Label that lead in case you forget which it is. It may also be worth identifying and labelling every cable.

It may be the amplifier has two separate aerial inputs,one for UHF and one for the old VHF.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 82 of 124

Go to solution
Disconnected black cable going to 1 no bed TV. Disconnected brown cable going to FULL and no living room TV. Connected UHF cable to Full cable and HD channels fine but no bed TV obviously. No attenuator being used.

From this UHF cable must be roof aerial socket and full is living room socket and the amplifier the problem?
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 83 of 124

Go to solution
Strength a steady 84% and quality in the 50s
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 84 of 124

Go to solution

@glenhill68 wrote:
Connected UHF cable to Full cable and HD channels fine but no bed TV obviously. No attenuator being used.

From this UHF cable must be roof aerial socket and full is living room socket and the amplifier the problem?

Well, eliminating the amplifier seems to have cured the problem, so it seems the likely cause, especially owing to its age Smiley Wink

Now that the HD channels are back, what is the signal strength and quality showing on the YouView box?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 85 of 124

Go to solution

@glenhill68 wrote:
Strength a steady 84% and quality in the 50s

Quality is a bit down, but that could be 4G interference or poor aerial alignment, but at least the signal is now stable.

Not an ideal solution at the moment, if you need the other TVs working, but replacing the amplifier with a modern one, should restore normality. Keep hold of the attenuators just in case the new amp puts out too much signal, all though that seems unlikely at the moment.

Quite an interesting problem, and one which I haven`t dealt with for 30 years.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 86 of 124

Go to solution
Left ITV HD on for awhile now whilst been cutting the hedge lol.

Strength around 83% and quality a steady 100% with no issues.

I will order that amplifier you recommended from Amazon my next pay day and see how I get on. The black cable def goes out the roof so bizarre. The Brien cable that must be the aerial and goes to UHF has a bit of green tape round it so I will know. Only two of the four TV sockets in the house are ever used.

I know which are the living room and bedroom cables now. The amplifier was already fitted when I moved in 12 years ago. I assume nothing lasts forever and need an upgrade.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 87 of 124

Go to solution

There you have the culprit Smiley Wink

Signal level is exactly right, so is quality, but when you put the distribution amp in, I suspect you may need the attenuator, depending on the amplifier gain, as its likely to be rather high.

If its too much signal for the other TVs as well, then you would have to put the attenuator on the input of the new amplifier, as that will affect all outputs.

If you can make do with things as they are at the moment, that is fine.

You can update this thread when you get it all sorted, and then mark it as an acceptable solution.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 88 of 124

Go to solution

It has tested my patience so it msut have tested yours lol.

Should i try adding the variable attenuator to the UHF on the existing amplifier or jsut give that up as a bad job?

I was going to ask if getting that new amplifier will introduce new problems?

Would you only connect the 2 sockets to it for the tv extensions that are used or all 4?

I did ntoice before when i retuned i sometimes didn't get the HD channels but I do now and 159 channels in total, whilst was 143 at best before.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 89 of 124

Go to solution

@glenhill68 wrote:

It has tested my patience so it msut have tested yours lol.

Should i try adding the variable attenuator to the UHF on the existing amplifier or jsut give that up as a bad job?

I was going to ask if getting that new amplifier will introduce new problems?

Would you only connect the 2 sockets to it for the tv extensions that are used or all 4?

I did ntoice before when i retuned i sometimes didn't get the HD channels but I do now and 159 channels in total, whilst was 143 at best before.

I used to get involved in lots of issues, also worked on VHF TV, UHF analogue TV, and digital TV distribution, plus most general transmission issues, so I have learned to be persistent, provided forum members are prepared to follow all of the steps I recommend.

Do not bother with the existing amplifier, as its degrading the signal.

The new amplifier should not cause any other issues.

Good about the extra channels.

You need to connect the aerial to the input of the new amp, and all of the TV feeds to the outputs.

Do not use the pass through socket next to the input socket, as that is to feed an additional amplifier.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 90 of 124

Go to solution

I certainly appreciated your help and you were very knowledgeable.

I did notice that black cable doesn't have the bit of copper sticking out for the male connector, is that an issue? I wonder where that goes as it def goes outside and at the back of the house I can see a cable coming out the roof and going to the aerial, all very confusing but I will accept that brown cable that went into the UHF socket is the aerial cable.

I will order the new amplifier you suggested in the next week or so, so the bedroom tv will only be out of action until then.

Just checked again and strnegth still 83/84% and quality 100%.

Spent about £13 on attenuators then another £13 will be spent on a new amplifier so not too bad.

0 Ratings