cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RJBarwell
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

HD TV ONLY AVAILABLE IN BT INFINITY AREAS

Why are certain options only available in BT Infinity Areas?  I particularly want HD TV on my BT Vision Box.  I am on a Direct Exchange Line (ie, not via a roadside cabinet) and so - to date - cannot get Infiinity.  However, I get 24 Mbps on my non-FTTC connection, which is of the same order as some of the Infinity customers - so please can someone explain what is the problem?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: HD TV ONLY AVAILABLE IN BT INFINITY AREAS

The problem is that BT wants everybody to upgrade to the more expensive Infinity broadband.  To persuade customers to move, they make sure that the best features of BT TV are not available to those on ADSL.

They aren't prepared to bend that policy for those who can't get Infinity yet, though they have grudgingly allowed ADSL customers to get BT Sport - in SD only.

0 Ratings
RJBarwell
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I had assumed so.  However, I'd be interested to hear from a BT employee what business model leads to their turning away good business just because they haven't rolled out Infinity to my area/ worked out how to run Infiinty on a direct exchange line.

RJB

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Not ideal as you say. At least standard definition BT Sport is available on YouView now. Previously you could only access it via an app/on a PC, even when you had signed up for a BT YouView+ box, so they have got a little more flexible.

Possibly worth a look at: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

just in case.

See also: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/FTTC-what-happens-if-connected-direct-to-th...

0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Its nothing to do with that at all, its due to the fact the HD can only be offerd via Fibre, which is why other providers dont off HD via DSL.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

What BT can technically offer compared to what they do offer can differ.

If you have a fast enough line speed AND your exchange is muticast enabled should mean that you should be able to get live HD sport streams. As for VOD - look at what netflix can provide in HD*

(*not all HDs are the same though!)

0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Netflix isnt LIVE tv so its easier as Live HD users more space.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Most ADSL customers won't be getting speeds anywhere near 24Mbps though.

Infinity VDSL represents a minimum speed of 15Mbps and hence can support the two live HD multicast channels that a BT TV box can watch/record (approx 7.5Mbps each). This should apply to all Infinity customers unless they are having line issues.

So yes, your particular ADSL line could support live HD channels, but BT are applying a general rule for all ADSL lines so you can't get them. BT hope ADSL will mostly be a thing of the past in a few years time.

Interestingly with the launch of UHD a large portion of Infinity customers can no longer get the best quality TV.
0 Ratings